Menu
Rainkingbritt
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Slow speeds and intermittent connection problems

Getting very frustrated. We’ve just recently moved about months ago - we’ve had the “super fast” broadband (350 oomph package) installed. It’s shockingly slow. Reported speeds of max 30mb/s but most often around 6mb/s and intermittent disconnections.

we had an engineer out who replaced a cable and fitted an attenuator but the speed hasn’t improved. Now all diagnostic tests are reading “fine”

I don’t feel that I’m receiving the service I’m paying for. And getting hold of customer services is a nightmare. I’ve been through the help guide countless times.

can anyone help please? Give any advice on what steps we should take. Currently trying to do a uni course via zoom and it’s constantly freezing and breaking up. (I’m the only one at home using the wifi) I’ve had to resort to tethering your my mobile internet to get a stable connection. (I’m sat within 2 foot of the hub 3 router so it can’t be a signal issue) 

any advice?’

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Slow speeds and intermittent connection problems

Is it just happening on wifi? What happens when you connect a computer/laptop directly to the Hub by ethernet cable? Can you test it if you haven't.

Also what are the various lights on the Hub showing/doing when this happens?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Rainkingbritt
Joining in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Unfortunately I don’t have an Ethernet port on my computer. The light on the hub is just solid white/yellow

0 Kudos
Rainkingbritt
Joining in
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Although when the Wi-Fi signal disappears I’m not sure what colours on the router are. I assumed it was just rebooting because it reappears about 2mins later. Annoying when it happens a few times in a row
0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

@Rainkingbritt wrote:

Unfortunately I don’t have an Ethernet port on my computer. The light on the hub is just solid white/yellow

Me neither - but I connect fine by ethernet.  You need to get an ethernet RJ45 - to "any port the device has" adapter.  I have them for USB3. USBc, Thunderbolt, Firewire, Lightning, etc.

If the botton light is solid white then the connection is still ok and its likely just a wifi disconnection issue.  Ethernet will prove that.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos