cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow speeds On Deco S4

Ezuzu
Tuning in

Due to the SuperHub 3, absolutely sucking with range. I've been advised I switch to the Deco S4, and putting the Hub3 into Modem mode, though I've been getting really terrible speeds with constant drop outs. Paying for 350M, getting barely 100mb. 

I'm not sure what to do, I've tried to get some answers from TP-Link, but no avail. 

I'd really appreciate it if anyone can help. 

Thanks

40 REPLIES 40

Yes using the same cable. It really is strange I feel like something is wrong with the Deco S4.

Anonymous
Not applicable

You could try accessing the Deco QoS settings and make sure the bandwidth is set to something like 1000 download and 1000 upload (manually set it).

I have also tried that, via the mobile App, and still has made 0 difference to the speeds.

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

Your Network log is full of serious connectivity error reports, and I think that your broadband is a problem.  Any limit between the hub in modem mode and the Deco is a separate issue.  Looking at that log, I would guess that in router mode the hub seemed OK simply because it has been rebooted and doing so it renegotiates all 28 channels from scratch, which means things are good until the underlying issue crops up again and the connectivity with VM's network gear breaks down.

To check this out I'd leave the hub in router mode, turn the hub's wifi off and set the Deco to access point mode.  Whilst you're then using the Hub's dubious router, you've still got the superior Deco wifi.  If speeds are still limited then the problem is the cable or Deco settings (on My Deco app I set QoS to manual then add the devices that need speed to the QoS list).  If speeds or reliability drop in this configuration, then it is the cable connection. 

I tried the router mode, and turn the wifi off. I also tried the QoS no luck. But the speed remains the same locked under 100mbps.

I tried the very same cable directly to my PC from the router in modem mode(virgin) and get the speeds that I pay for which is 350mbps. But soon as I plug it into the deco that's where it becomes a problem.

MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta

@Ezuzu wrote:

I tried the very same cable directly to my PC from the router in modem mode(virgin) and get the speeds that I pay for which is 350mbps. But soon as I plug it into the deco that's where it becomes a problem.

Looks like you need to check the Deco settings.

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.

Thanks for that, because I tried with the other wire and it's so much better, I'm not sure what wires to purchase for ethernet, because the ones they've supplied in the box has a limit for 100mbps, but my 10 year old cable works fine. 

MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta

To be on the safe side use Cat 6 or better cables.

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.

So if I get higher ones are they backwards compatible  with devices which don't support it?