Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Slow speeds 200mbps to 80mbps Help needed

I recently just installed a CAT 6 cable from my router to my computer. When i first installed the cable i was getting speeds of 200+ but after a week or two they have shot right down to the 80s. I've restarted my router and contacted customer service but all they have told me is that if your internet is still working, you should not let it bother you. I'm a Electrician as trade, so i do a lot of projects which means i need a high download speed. 

Photo of internet when first installed:

85184442_775405379952315_1034721268726759424_n.png

Photo of speed now:now.PNG

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Legend
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Slow speeds 200mbps to 80mbps Help needed

Those speeds are indicative of a flaky cable or a Network Interface Card (NIC) running at 10/100 Gbs.

Check the NIC settings and driver status in your computer if they are good a different cable may help.

If it isn't the NIC or cable get the ball rolling with fault diagnosis.

..............................................................................................................

Firstly set up a Broadband Quality Monitor (BQM) at thinkbroadband.com - this will give you an insight into what is happening with the signal at the Hub, it will take a few hours to get any kind of trend showing.

Post a link to your BQM on here.

then

Type 192.168.0.1 into your browser URL bar and press enter.  When the page appears DO NOT LOG IN but click ‘Check Router Status’. Copy and paste the contents of each tab onto here, a Guru will be along soon to decipher the info.

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

My Broadband Ping - 26_Aug_2020
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I have a gigabit network card. Its confusing me as it was working the week before but not anymore? When i go into my hardware systems, it says my hardware card is capped at 100mbps. I have read up and found out sometimes a faulty cat 6 cable can do this? Im confused how the cable can get 100mbps if its faulty.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Probably not a cable issue. Alter the "capping" setting or upgrade the drivers back to 1GB and see how it goes.

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

How would i change it back to 1gb?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Legend
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Depends on your Operating System (OS).

Try a Google search.

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

My Broadband Ping - 26_Aug_2020
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Been doing researched and they all came to the same conclusion that its most likely a cable fault. Your computer determines what speed to run at with the cable you are using. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

"Your computer determines what speed to run at with the cable you are using"

That is true - certainly on the Mac.

Just try another Cat5e/6/7/8 cable (they are cheap) and see if that changes the setting to show 1GB - it did here......

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Speed/ethernet-half-the-speed-of-wifi-after-upgrade/td-p/415409...

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

@ReganE wrote:

snip.... I have read up and found out sometimes a faulty cat 6 cable can do this? Im confused how the cable can get 100mbps if its faulty.

Ethernet cables have four twisted pairs of conductors which might or might not be individually screened depending on the rating of the cable. For gigabit speed all eight wires have to be properly connected but in some cases if one pair is broken (the cable is cracked or one plug has a bad connection), then the cable can still transfer data but at a slower 100 Mbit/s speed. In all newish machines, the network interface cards themselves will detect which connections are working and if possible auto negotiate the maximum speed the cable and combination of network interfaces at both ends can support. Both ends then adjust themselves accordingly and work at that speed.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Rising star
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Is this an installed cable - if so it could be the terminations are loose if you did them yourself (plug or socket). If so check / re punch them. 

0 Kudos