Menu
wayneold
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Slow speed

Internet has been unbearable for 2 weeks now, paying for 350mb and lucky to get 15mb

virgin say the usual switch off and reboot and admit the signal speed is low but won’t do anything? The worse customer service in the uk in my opinion, they really don’t be the £690 a year they are charging 

shocking service 

0 Kudos
MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re: Slow speed

How are you connecting your device[s], Wi-Fi or ethernet cable ?

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.
0 Kudos
wayneold
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Both, but as most devices are wireless it’s very frustrating. iPads, phones are quicker in their SIM cards 

ive read their Hub 3 is terrible, is it time to upgrade a router and put it in modem mode? I begrudge spending £200 to fix an issue that’s costing me £57.50 a month as it is though unless it will really help 

0 Kudos
MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Forget Wi-Fi until the status of the Broadband connection can be determined.

What speed do you get using a direct connection using a Cat 5E/6 cable between the Hub and a 1Gbs capable Pc/Mac/Chromebook and no other devices connected ?

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.
0 Kudos
wayneold
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

If I disconnect every device on WiFi and connect my laptop on its own it will get between 200-300mb depending on time of day

issue is every other device on WiFi, iPads, tv etc. You can be sat 1 foot away from the hub 3 and the connection will disconnect. Virgin online chat have said they can see issues and I should disable 5G, I’m paying for the 350mb package so this seems a strange request from them rather than trying to fix any issues?

I have a net gear booster upstairs and this works fine for devices which are further away...

0 Kudos
MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

So from that I take it the Broadband connection is poor but not unusable until the Wi-Fi items are connected ?

The problem with the Wi-Fi is that there is only so much of it to be shared out and then it is open to interference.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Have you checked the 'Check Service Status' at the top of the page ?

If nothing is showing try phoning 0800 561 0061, this will tell you of more local issues that may be affecting the area. Be aware that it isn't a manned line.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Can you set up a Broadband Quality Monitor (BQM) at thinkbroadband.com - this will give you an insight into what is happening with the signal at the other side of the Hub, it will take a few hours to get any kind of trend showing although you should post the link straight away.

Post a link to your BQM on here.

Instructions for posting BQM Link

Under your BQM graph are two links in red.

Click the lower link (Share Live Graph) then click generate.

Copy the text in the Direct Link box, beware, there may be more text than you can see.

On here click the Link icon (2 links chain to the left of the camera icon)

In the URL box paste the link you copied and in the ‘text to display’ box write My BQM then click OK - you can post the link straight away.

Then

Can you please

Type 192.168.0.1 (192.168.100.1 in Modem mode) into your browser URL bar and press enter. 

Hub 2 & 3 When the page appears DO NOT LOG IN but click ‘Check Router Status’.

Hub 4 When the page appears LOG IN then click ‘Check Router Status’.

Copy and paste the contents of the Downstream, Upstream, Configuration and Network Log tabs onto here, if you get a yellow warning click the Post button again. Use one post for each tab if you wish. Please do not use screen grabs.

A Guru will be along soon to decipher the info.

0 Kudos
wayneold
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Speeds can drop that slow on WiFi the tv in the same room can’t buffer Netflix or youtube

this is the 2nd hub3 now as they said the last one had bust. It’s very frustrating, if the speeds are so slow I’m wasting money subscribing to the top package 

0 Kudos
MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Wi-Fi streaming devices will be sucking the life out of the wireless broadcast, can you connect the TV or TV Box using an ethernet cable ?

0 Kudos
wayneold
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

No, unfortunately not. I regret not having cat5 etc installed through the house when it was rewired now 😞

ah well, think I’ll try BT if this doesn’t improve, got nothing to lose..

0 Kudos
MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Many people have accepted that the VM Wi-Fi is poor and have purchased third party equipment that is much, much more powerful than the VM supplied kit and once set up have wondered why they waited for so long.

0 Kudos