Menu
darebear
Tuning in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Slow speed slowing to next to nothing

can anyone please help.  

over the last week or 2 my speeds have been stupidly low.  im on the M200 package  and all was perfect, i was getting about 220 download speed and 21 upload on my wireless connection.  since then the max ive been getting is about 110-115, and even at that, thats only after either a reboot, or a complete router reset to factory settings.   and when both them happen the speed only stays for about 2-3 hours at a max, then it drops to between 45-70 and some times it even plummets to between 7-19.  and also over the last week ive been getting a lot of disconnections where the router looses all internet connectivity then comes back about 5 mins later.  i am connected to the 5G connection and am the only device on that bandwidth

zero has changed in my setup, ive checked the virgin connect app and it says the signal is perfect.  can any of the Virgin "geeks" help please

0 Kudos
MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Slow speed slowing to next to nothing

What speeds do you get at >> speedtest.net << with a direct connection using a Cat 5E or better ethernet cable between the Hub in Router Mode and a 1Gbs capable Pc/Mac/Chromebook and no other devices connected ?

then

Can you Login to the Hub Settings and navigate to the Connected Devices page - what is the reported 'connection speed’ for the ethernet cable connected device you used for the speed test ?

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.
0 Kudos
darebear
Tuning in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

unfort i cant wire into the router.   those are the speeds in speedtest.net that i stated in the post.     

as i said the connection has been perfect giving me 200-200 without any issues until the couple of weeks.    ive done all the basic checks on my end as i used to be a advanced tech support for a rival bb company who's name is 3 letters long long and before that was the same for ukonline with dialup and broadband, so i have a background in being able to sort this, but i need the virgin guys to do checks on the connection and cable from their point as nothing i do is resolving it, it just putting a sticking plaster on it so to speak

0 Kudos
MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

@darebear wrote:

unfort i cant wire into the router.   those are the speeds in speedtest.net that i stated in the post.     

as i said the connection has been perfect giving me 200-200 without any issues until the couple of weeks.    ive done all the basic checks on my end as i used to be a advanced tech support for a rival bb company who's name is 3 letters long long and before that was the same for ukonline with dialup and broadband, so i have a background in being able to sort this, but i need the virgin guys to do checks on the connection and cable from their point as nothing i do is resolving it, it just putting a sticking plaster on it so to speak

Were those speed tests done using Wi-Fi ?

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.
0 Kudos
darebear
Tuning in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

yes, thats the only way ive ever been able to connect due to the way my apartment is laid out. all speeds both good and terrible are wi-fi.
0 Kudos
MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

For starters, VM do not, and never have guaranteed Wi-Fi speed or coverage.

The problem with Wi-Fi is that it can be brilliant at breakfast time and useless by lunchtime and you haven't changed anything, BUT, something, somewhere has changed, then you can spend hours and even days trying to find a fix for something that can be totally out of your control.

If you remove all the internal walls, water, electronic and electrical devices, metallic pipes and conduits and wrap the whole building in a thick lead shield you will have a good chance of getting decent Wi-Fi from an ISP Hub.

Just a few things that can affect Wi-Fi in the average home …

Blockage (visible) …

Mirrors, furniture, fish tanks, people, radiators, walls, flooring / ceilings.

Interference (invisible) …

Cordless phones, baby monitors, microwave ovens, fridges & freezers, TVs, next doors Wi-Fi and Wi-Fi equipment, DAB transmitters, the list is endless.

My VM Hub 3 Wi-Fi went into meltdown when the local authority / police CCTV camera on the lamppost adjacent to my house was used.

Many people have accepted that the VM Wi-Fi is poor and have purchased third party equipment that is much, much more powerful than the VM supplied kit and once set up have wondered why they waited for so long.

0 Kudos
darebear
Tuning in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

cheers for the reply, i was considering buying a router anyway but this has just confirmed it.. just would love to know why its been perfect with 200+ for over 2 years then gone to **bleep** in 2 weeks
0 Kudos
MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

It could be any permutation of many things, even next door's >> TV. <<

0 Kudos