Menu
cristiambro
Joining in
Message 1 of 32
Flag for a moderator

Slow speed on cable and WiFi with the 350 plan

Hello, I’m having problems with both my WiFi and cable connection, I’m on the 350fiber plan with a Hub 3.0 router. I have used WiFi on laptop and PS4 and mobile that’s located in the living room and the speed reached was between 10mbps and a max of 60mbps. A few days ago I have installed cable through the house and tried the cable both on the laptop and PS4 and the max speed I could reach was under 100mbps, exactly 90-95mbps. I haven’t called the virgin media team because I saw some reviews that they’re not answering and taking hours to talk with them so I’m asking for your help here. I’m taking any advices. 

0 Kudos
conman33158
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 32
Flag for a moderator

Re: Slow speed on cable and WiFi with the 350 plan

What cable did you use? It needs to be Cat 5e or better.

***********************************************************************************************************************************
Super Hub 4.0 (modem mode) - Gig1 Fibre FTTP - Asus RT-AX82U & Asus RT-AX56U with AiMesh setup
***********************************************************************************************************************************
My Broadband Ping - conman33158
0 Kudos
cristiambro
Joining in
Message 3 of 32
Flag for a moderator

This is what I’m using, a cat5e. I have tried to use it with and without an network splitter and with both the speed was under 100mbps

0 Kudos
conman33158
Knows their stuff
Message 4 of 32
Flag for a moderator

A network splitter will reduce your speed to 100mb or less. Better of using a 1Gbps network switch.

What speed do you get on https://speedtest.samknows.com/ with direct wired connection from PC/Laptop to router using a short Cat 5e cable or better with a 1Gbps capable Ethernet network card direct to the Hub?

1. Make sure the cable is Cat 5e or better
  2. Make sure your PC/laptop has a 1Gbps or better network card
  3. Disconnect all other Ethernet cables when running the test
Super Hub 4.0 (modem mode) - Gig1 Fibre FTTP - Asus RT-AX82U & Asus RT-AX56U with AiMesh setup
0 Kudos
cristiambro
Joining in
Message 5 of 32
Flag for a moderator

I have tried with and without the splitter and it was the same speed. Let me try again without the splitter, directly to the hub and I will come back with an answer. 

0 Kudos
cristiambro
Joining in
Message 6 of 32
Flag for a moderator

And my network card is a Realtek 8821CE Wireless LAN 802.11ac PCI-E NIC, I searched on Google and it said it can have a speed of 1.3gbpsnetwork speed.png

Until they will approve the image it says: Latency 16.0 ms, Jitter 5.01ms Download 89.2mbps, Upload 32.8mbps

0 Kudos
conman33158
Knows their stuff
Message 7 of 32
Flag for a moderator

This is a test on wireless, not a wired LAN connection. Realtek 8821CE Wireless LAN 802.11ac PCI-E NIC

Run the test on a short cat 5e or better cable, not the cable you installed. From an Ethernet connection on a PC or laptop, NOT from a games console and NOT wireless. We are trying to determine that you're getting the speed into the Hub first.

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 32
Flag for a moderator

Also try a new Cat6 cable as old ones can fail - see this.

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/How-to-check-and-set-Hub-3-Ethernet-port-sp...

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
cristiambro
Joining in
Message 9 of 32
Flag for a moderator

The test I made it with the cat5e cable that I just bought earlier this week, if I will make another speed test with the WiFi connection it won’t even open the browser page on my laptop in a room upstairs, that’s how bad is the connection in a 3beds house. I don’t have time to install a new cable upstair, I don’t even understand why by any measure they are blocking my connection under 100mbps I don’t even want to say that the WiFi disconnects a few times a day and after 12am there’s no connection sometimes 

0 Kudos
conman33158
Knows their stuff
Message 10 of 32
Flag for a moderator

All you have to do is stand beside your Hub with a laptop and plug in a cable and test the speed, but if that's too much to ask then you would be better calling it in. As for them blocking your speed to 100mb I would tend to think it's your wiring that's the problem, especially seeing as your using a splitter which is a thing of the past.

Best to ring VM on or just after 8am on 0345 454 1111 or alternatively you can wait here for a Virgin staff member to pick it up, but unfortunately this will typically be between 5-10 days, sometimes sooner, sometimes later depending on how busy they are.

If you want to wait for a Virgin staff member to pick it up, try not to bump the thread as this will throw you further down the list

0 Kudos