Menu
Funkelnstaub
Tuning in
Message 1 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Slow speed new installation

Hi,
On Thursday I had an engineer come over to install a virgin line for the 100 meg broadband package I purchased.

My broadband is really slow and after doing a speed test it’s only showing a download speed of 2 meg.

Please can this be investigated

Many thanks

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
lotharmat
Trouble shooter
Message 2 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Re: Slow speed new installation

Is that tested over WiFi or ethernet?

------------------------------------------------------------------
Hub 3 - Modem Mode - TP-Link Archer C7

0 Kudos
Funkelnstaub
Tuning in
Message 3 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Re: Slow broadband

Hi 

Don’t remember creating two threads so not sure what happened there.

It was tested over wifi only. 

I’ll test over Ethernet and see what speed I get over that. 

Thank you for your input. 

0 Kudos
Funkelnstaub
Tuning in
Message 4 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Slow wifi after new installation

Hi 

please can a virgin member of staff investigate this issue I am experiencing.

I’ve recently signed up to 100 meg broadband and had a new cable installed last Thursday by one of your engineers.

Unfortunately my WiFi speed is only reaching 2 meg. I have tried plugging an Ethernet cable  in and at first that didn’t make a difference but when I switched it to modem mode the speed shot up to around about 100 meg. I have tried reverting back to wifi and selecting different channels but it’s not getting past 2 meg.

Please can you send an engineer over again to check if there is a fault with the router or send me a replacement router to try.

the router is only 2 meters away from where I sit so wifi really shouldn’t be a problem. There was no issues with the previous ISP routers wifi. 

many thanks 

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Re: Slow wifi after new installation

So this is the third thread you have created on the same issue!

A VM person will comment in a few days time - if you want help from forum members, then you need to respond to their requests for data and post more info

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Funkelnstaub
Tuning in
Message 6 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Re: Slow wifi after new installation

Cheers John

want help from a virgin member of staff as I’ve already stated.

Don’t worry about how many threads I’ve written on the same issue. As soon as virgin member of staff contacts me and sorts this pickle out there will be no more threads on this issue.

0 Kudos
Robert_P
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Hello Funkelnstaub

Sorry to hear of the broadband issues experienced and the speed issue over your wireless network. We appreciate you taking the time to raise this via the forum and sometimes the forum mod's will merge threads so all of the information is in one place.

If you could get back to us once you have had the chance to run a wired speed test via a PC or Laptop and let us know the results. We have these tips available to help with broadband issues:

Thanks 

Rob

0 Kudos
Funkelnstaub
Tuning in
Message 8 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Hi Rob

So when connecting via Ethernet cable and switching to modem mode it hit 112 meg download speed. When using wifi only no matter if it’s 2.4 or 5 ghz band I get only 2 meg download speed.

Thank you for the links you’ve sent, I’ve tried all of those already and it doesn’t help unfortunately.

I’ve also tried factory resetting and manually changing to different channels but nothing works, I can only think there is a fault with the router.

The router is no more than 2 meters away from where i sit and my devices show signal strength as excellent. 

please could you send an engineer round to check the router.

I’ve not had issues with wifi speed before with other isp’s which again makes me wonder if it’s a faulty router too.

0 Kudos
Laurie_C
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Hi FunkeInstaub,

Thanks for getting back to us so quickly, and for running a speed test using a wired connection.

I've been able to locate your account using your Forum Details, and our diagnostic system has advised that your WiFi issues could be due to a device being too close to your Hub. The device seems to be a Roku Streaming Stick, and is taking up quite a lot of bandwidth on your network. Would you be able to move this at all, and then let us know if the WiFi speeds improve?

Kind regards,

Laurie

Laurie_C
Forum Team
0 Kudos
Funkelnstaub
Tuning in
Message 10 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Hi Laurie 

Thank you for looking into this.

roku stick has been removed and I’m only getting 1.84 meg download. 

I will leave this roku stick unplugged, if you can run a diagnostic again and see if anything else appears.

Thank you for the suggestion but I’ve always had this roku stick in this same position and the previous ISP router was where my virgin router is now and there wasn’t an issue with that. 

0 Kudos