cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow speed m500 broadband, potentially due to wall socket?

alexkay003
Tuning in

IMG-29533.jpg

So I am curious to know seeing as the virgin wall socket has been put into a BT Openreach one if this is causing the problem with slow speeds as the wire we are using to connect it to the router comes out another hole in the wall just off to the rightIMG-294999.jpg

17 REPLIES 17

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Yep. They always attenuate speeds somewhat. And also, if they dont have 1GB ports and just have the "fast" ports (10/100) then you can never get above 100mbps and usually less due to attenuation. What make model are yours ?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

I have the AV600 Nano Powerline Adapter, they say they are good for 600mbps but in Speed & Duplex say it only runs at 100mbps like you say, I have tried changing that to higher with full duplex but it didn't seem to do anything and made speeds worse in most cases

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Yes they may be good for 600mbps - but that means 6 devices all maxing out at 100 or 10 devices maxing at 60. And as I said they will always drop below 100 due to the way they work

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Basically did a bit of research into it and it says the ports are only 100mbps so that would explain it, ordered some AV1000mbps which online say have an average of 340mbps transfer so will see how they go, just hoping the power line it’s running off can handle the faster speeds as I’m unsure how old the house is but don’t know how much of a difference that would make

So little update, bought the AV1000 which have a gigabit port, autonegotiation comes up as 1gbps but still only getting around 80 mbps, there is no point paying for 500mbps internet at this point when i was getting the same speeds with the M100 plan last year. The cables are fine Cat6 and worked to give 500mbps when running directly from the router, on the TP Link software it says that my powerline transfer rate is around 400mbps so the electrical wiring of the house also isn't the issue, can you give me anymore help on how to speed this up, I mean even if I was getting 150mbps that would be fine!

whilst the sync speed will say 400mb on the powerline socket, it is always optimistic and it will be your wiring and electrical interference that are the issue, mixed with a good amount of powerline company false claims, I've been running power line for years and despite fantasicaly speeds of 1.5Gbs etc show in software I don't think I have ever seen >500Mb. Blimey even if you put both in an extension right next to each other you won't get the speed.

Ditch power line and go with some decent Wifi setup if you can't wire for what ever reason.

I did this as Powerline was great around the house with 300+ Mb but in my office like you I only got 40Mb from my AV2000 as it was in an extension and the wiring is going across circuits RCDs etc.

My house was rubbish for Wifi  from just one router due to a couple of extensions and solid brick exterior walls now being internal  meaning wifi would not pass with any sort of speed but a mesh setup resolved this, giving me great wifi and being able to connect upstairs routers to downstair by Wifi with really good speed ~1Gb.

You could also try ethernet wiring to different electrical sockets and then trying powerline from those, might get you better powerline speed from a different wiring in another part of the house as unless you did the wiring in your house you'll never know if you are off some bothched spur etc.

Yeah i've already tried a different socket in my room as that's the only other place I can do it, made sure to only have it running on the twin socket alone to reduce interference to see if that helped, just don't think theres much more i can try as all drivers are also up to date and tried things to stop it being capped but all to no avail. strangest thing is though the speed has gone up, only by 10mbps but still more, but why only by 10mbps when theres a much higher cap on the port the ethernet is running from. clearly there was more speed that could be achieved but it wasn't. Odd 

Noisy powerlines most likely the issue, you need everything in the house that's plugged into go through a filter to help it reduce the passing back of noise, great if you can control all the sockets but unlikely to happen in student digs, powerline pass through devices provide this filtering function. 

Sounds like you might just have to suck it up an wire or buy your own additional wifi infrastructure.