Slow speed in furtherest romm from hub

HARJO
Joining in
  • Pi have speed of max 7mb in furtherest room from hub
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

Simplest and easiest option would be to try a Virgin Media wifi "pod".  Unless you're on the Ultimate Oomph package, or have a Hub 4 then you'll have to rent one at £5 a month, but it's a good bet if you don't want to invest in your own wifi or mesh system.  

Best value would be to buy a £30-50 TP-Link Archer router for the upstairs, run an ethernet cable between the hub and the new router (always easier said than done), configure the upstairs router in access point mode*, and then live with two wifi networks to which all devices are connected, letting the device choose when to swap networks.  A thirty quid Archer C50 is the lowest cost option, a bit basic and it won't give speeds above 100 Mbps, on the other hand that's a whole lot better than 7 Mbps.

Best overall solution for poor coverage for most people would be an entry level mesh system costing around £100, I suspect that's more than you'll want to spend.

* This is easily done, but important - if you connect two routers that are both in router mode they'll fight each other for control of the system, causing a range of weird problems.  Advice on how to do this can be found on the TP-Link support site, make sure you've read and understood this before spending money.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

4 REPLIES 4

Zoie_P
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi Harjo,

Thanks for your post and welcome to the forums.

I am sorry to hear you are having slow speeds, as you have advised this is the furthest room from the hub would assume this is wifi. We cannot guarantee wifi speeds around your home.

What speeds are you getting wired vs wireless?

Zoie

I have no problem with speeds down stairs, I don't expect guaranteed speeds throughout home. What I was wanting is advice on how to improve the speed upstairs. 

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

Simplest and easiest option would be to try a Virgin Media wifi "pod".  Unless you're on the Ultimate Oomph package, or have a Hub 4 then you'll have to rent one at £5 a month, but it's a good bet if you don't want to invest in your own wifi or mesh system.  

Best value would be to buy a £30-50 TP-Link Archer router for the upstairs, run an ethernet cable between the hub and the new router (always easier said than done), configure the upstairs router in access point mode*, and then live with two wifi networks to which all devices are connected, letting the device choose when to swap networks.  A thirty quid Archer C50 is the lowest cost option, a bit basic and it won't give speeds above 100 Mbps, on the other hand that's a whole lot better than 7 Mbps.

Best overall solution for poor coverage for most people would be an entry level mesh system costing around £100, I suspect that's more than you'll want to spend.

* This is easily done, but important - if you connect two routers that are both in router mode they'll fight each other for control of the system, causing a range of weird problems.  Advice on how to do this can be found on the TP-Link support site, make sure you've read and understood this before spending money.

Good Morning @HARJO

It may also be worth taking a read of ways to combat the Wi-Fi issues you’re experiencing, via these links - http://virg.in/wifihelp & http://virg.in/WiFiwins

Kindest regards,

David_Bn