Menu
Grant165
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Slow speed help.

Hi,

I've recently moved house and we upgraded broadband to 350mps, currently we are only getting between 200-250.

A engineer came out on an unrelated issues and when we spoke to him he said there was a problem and a team would come out and look at it in our street/estate.

The team came out that evening but speed has stayed the same.

This is 2 weeks ago and I'm not sure what to do next. The virgin broadband checker thingy says there is no issue in our area.

Any advice on what to do next?

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Slow speed help.

Is that on an ethernet connection or wifi? Can you try the speed tests like this...

As you expect >100Mbps then connect a 1GB enabled computer/laptop, with up to date drivers, via a NEW and working Cat5e (or better) ethernet cable, directly to the Hub which you have put into “modem mode” (https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-hub-modem-mode ). Test speeds at https://speedtest.samknows.com/ - try on 2 different browsers.

If they are still low – boot you device into windows safe+networking mode to disable any potentially interfering software - and try again.

There are many posts on here where QoS software, unknown/flaky software, old network card drivers, corrupted browsers, bad cables or other connected devices are limiting speeds on tests.

Report back what that gets.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Grant165
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Sorry. That wasn't what I was asking. The engineer confirmed there was a fault but I don't think anything happened since he reported it.

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Did he .... well if its not showing on the checkers then either there isn't - or its specific to you. Running a proper speed test will help prove whether you actually have a speed issue.

But just noticed that you upgraded to 350 from 200. Its "possible" that the upgrade want applied properly - several times that has been the case.

Can you look in the Hub settings at the "configuration" page and see what the numbers are in the upstream and downstream "Max data transfer rate" boxes. These are in bps - if they start with a 2xxxxx then you haven't received the update - if they start 4xxxx then you have.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos