Menu
Tictoc1012
Joining in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Slow speed . Constant red light on hub

Hi there , hope people can help?

I've been trying for 4 weeks to get through on the phone and keep constantly getting disconnected. 

I'm experiencing slow speeds and constant drops in connection.ax speed is around 50mbs dl on a good day. (Paying for 350 mb service).

WiFi signal is strong and hardwired devices also slow .

The hub has a constant red light and is certainly not overheating it's sat on its own in the corner of the room. Local engineer told the it needs a firmware update but couldn't help more as he was shielding .

Please can you help . 

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Slow speed . Constant red light on hub

Can you test speeds directly like this. As you expect >100Mbps then connect a 1GB enabled computer/laptop, with up to date drivers, via a known good and working Cat5e (or better) ethernet cable, directly to the Hub which you have put into “modem mode” (see VM website for “How To”). Test at speedtest.net (not using their App!) to your nearest VM server - try on 2 different browsers.

If they are still low – boot the device into windows safe+networking mode and try again.

There are many posts on here where unknown/flaky software, old network card drivers, corrupted browsers, bad cables or other connected devices are limiting speeds on tests unbeknown to the user.

Report back what that gets.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Tictoc1012
Joining in
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi There, 

Ty for the post, on one of the occasions i got through to support they turned router into Modem only mode. I tested with PC , Laptop (Both Gigabyte enabled) and android phone. Various cables (Incl Cat5 and 6 ) . I have once seen on my phone a >100 MB but only once. 

Speedtest by Ookla always done from website not the app.  

Currently with router in modem mode with new cat 6 cable results are below (Roughly same in safe mode too)

Tictoc1012_0-1613251416769.png

The light on the oruter is permanently red and it was suggested firmware maybe not updating ??

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Did you recently "upgrade" to 350 from a lower package ?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Tictoc1012
Joining in
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi there.

Yes upgraded about 4 weeks ago. Was previously on 200mb service.

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

All I can suggest is you look in the Hub settings at the "Configuration" page data and see what the numbers are in the "Maximum Data Transfer Rate" boxes for the Downstream & Upstream - the figure is in bps. for the down it will start with 4xxxx... if on 350 or 2xxxx... if the update wasn't applied .

I would also do a pinhole reset as per this....

Note that a pinhole reset on a Hub3 can be a bit problematic - so do it (again) EXACTLY this way (not as the VM website says!).

Firstly, make sure the Hub's sticker/card with the two passwords on it is still there and legible or you will be stuffed ! If its not – DON’T DO IT !

With the Hub switched "on", disconnect any ethernet connections and then push in the “reset pin” with the end of a paperclip/thin nail/SIM tray “tool” or similar (bigger items like ball point pen ends may not press it in far enough) until you feel it at the “stop point” and hold it there firmly for a "timed" minimum of 60 seconds do NOT manually restart the Hub at any time. Leave it 10' or so to stabilise and then your passwords/passphrase for both the Hub settings and the Wifi networks will revert to the two printed on the Hub sticker on its base/side/card. Make sure you use the wifi one for devices connecting to the wifi and the settings/admin one to access the Hub (it is a six digit numeric one).

See if that sorts it.

--------------------
John
--------------------

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Also lets look at connection data. So after the pinhole reset can you follow this......

First do a quick check that all of your coax cable connections are in nice and "finger" tight - at the Hub and wall box and also at any connectors etc. Ensure there are no “unterminated cable loose ends. Disconnect all the connections and reconnect to be sure. Also check that the internal wiring is ok with no kinking or chaffing, check that all looks good with the outside cabling and wall box.

Then, Post up your Hub/network connection details and someone will check to see if there is a problem there.  In your browser’s URL box type in http://192.168.0.1  (or http://192.168.100.1 - if in modem mode) and hit return. On the first page up click on the “router status” icon/text at bottom-middle of first page up and then copy/paste as “Formatted Text” (not images) 3 FULL sets of data onto here – 2 pages from the Downstream, 2 from the Upstream, & the Network Logs page. Don't worry too much about the formatting it can be easily read & DON’T include personal data or MAC addresses - blank them out - if you copy/paste the data, the board software will do this for you (you may need to click the "submit" button again.

Also, in the meantime... If you haven’t already, set up a free and secure “Broadband Quality Monitor” to continually monitor the state of your connection and record any true network dropouts , latency issues, packet drops, etc - it will thus allow you to differentiate between those and simple wifi dropouts. It does it 24/7/365 and it keeps a visual record of any/all of your network disconnections, useful data to have to match to the Network logs (in your Hub settings) and also in discussions with VM - note it will take a few hours to start seeing a sensible picture - post up the “link” to the “share live graph” (as per instructions on the TB website) when it starts to develop.

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality

--------------------
John
--------------------

0 Kudos
Tictoc1012
Joining in
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

HI there , thank you , had a bit of time to play today so hopefully this helps. THank you for the replies Jbrennand

Let me know if anything else needed. 

Tictoc1012_0-1613506035709.pngTictoc1012_1-1613506048617.pngTictoc1012_2-1613506057086.pngTictoc1012_3-1613506065251.png

Tictoc1012_4-1613506072821.pngTictoc1012_5-1613506080404.png

0 Kudos
Tictoc1012
Joining in
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/814d5b224b13270fe7882f9f119804abfe7694b5
0 Kudos
Tictoc1012
Joining in
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/ceb1f17534fa7944eb7c3e0ec26df6c24436cd33
0 Kudos