Menu
Moggy59
Joining in
Message 1 of 2
Flag for a moderator

Slow(ish) speeds on M600 package.

Hi - I see that the guaranteed minimum speed for this package is 315Mbps but I am generally getting wifi speeds (to my Surface Pro 4) between 65 and low 200Mbps; Most often low 100's. This when I'm no more than 6-8 feet away and directly facing the router. I phoned the helpline and they reset the router (the online check process didn't work after 3 minutes waiting). This caused an immediate improvement from the 65 Mbps I was then getting but still only 220Mbps. I have seen up to low 300's on one or two previous occasions but never consistently and now it's pretty much always below the "guaranteed minimum" 315Mbps.

Any thoughts / help appreciated - I'm not particularly technical though!

0 Kudos
SCA1972
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 2
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Slow(ish) speeds on M600 package.

Hi @Moggy59 

the speed guarantee only applies to devices connected by Ethernet cable to the hub.

Wireless is easily disrupted by a number of external factors (Thickness of walls and building materials used within them, mirrors, fish tanks, cordless phones, baby monitors, microwave ovens, a neighbour's wireless router, etc.) so it is not something VM can control or guarantee, no ISP can with a single router.  The VM hubs, like all free ISP routers, are basic devices that for some people are fine but for others not so much.

Are you sure the Surface is capable of speeds in excess of 315Mbps?  Sometimes the WiFi chipset or antennas in the device is the limiting factor not the VM hub.

My setup: VM TV box, M350 Fibre broadband with Hub 3 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos