Menu
jtarps
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Slow internet speeds

I've been an existing customer for a number of years and recently upgraded my package to the v6 tv box, M350 broadband a new hub in the hope it would keep my speeds high while the majority of the people locally are now at home. Unfortunately my download speeds rarely reach above 15mbps, since the new installation and my internet will crash and have to reboot itself up on a daily basis, majority of the time at 2pm but sometimes a nice surprise at 3pm.

I've set everything up in the way it was before, where I had no issues. I've rebooted, moved to a new 'happy place', bought a wifi extender, ran the tests through the site to see if any issues, checked loose connections, even went down to the text route to Virgins help desk who didn't give me any more advice and told me a technical colleague would ring back (they didn't) but I can get my speed up at all.

If I connect the ethernet cable directly into my laptop I hit speeds of around 80mbps.

Can someone give me some tips and tricks I can use so I can actually work from home and get the performance I am paying for? Appreciate the help all and hope everyone is staying safe.

0 Kudos
apcyberax
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Slow internet speeds

Upgrading if you are getting slow speeds never works. the higher packages do not get any special priorties.

If you find;t have enough bandwidth to get 100 you won't have any more to get 350.

I assuming you are connecting my ethernet cable and not wifi
0 Kudos
PaulBurge55
Tuning in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

I've been getting bad speeds for the last few days. I'm on their 200m package and rarely get above 80mbps on a wired connection speed at the moment.

I'm wondering if they are throttling internet traffic at the moment so their network can cope.

VirginMedia, Care to comment ?

0 Kudos
jtarps
Joining in
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the reply.

I am connecting via Wifi for the 15mbps speed, directly via ethernet for the 80mbps. I was advised my minimum speed guarantee for my area is 181Mbps and my peak would be around 368. My prior package peaked at 100mbps hence the upgrade.

As I say prior to my upgrade I was around the 90mbps mark connecting via WiFI, can't seem to even get that connecting via ethernet.

0 Kudos
apcyberax
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

that wired speed sounds like you may be limited by your hardware. Check your network card supports 1 gpbs and that you are connecting at 1000mbps and not 100mbps
0 Kudos