Menu
harry88fairhall
Tuning in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Slow internet speeds (WiFi & Ethernet)

Hello,

I have only just joined VM and have the m350 package. 

My issue is that I am unable get speeds anywhere near the 350mbps that I'm paying for. 

I've attached a screenshot of my latest Ethernet speed test

FB_IMG_1607938518252.jpg

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Rachael_F
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Slow internet speeds (WiFi & Ethernet)

Hi harry88fairhall,

Welcome to our forums and thank you for providing me with a link to your thread via Facebook. I'm sorry that you've had trouble receiving expected speeds, I can certainly look to resolve this for you.

First of all, could you please confirm whether you're using any kind of third party router or other device between your hub and your PC/laptop? I'm not able to see any connected devices at the moment, although this could be due to the pending disconnection as this can throw some aspects of our reporting systems.

I've checked the local network and everything appears to be well within spec. There's no congestion in your area, I've found no errors and all signal levels are spot on. It's actually one of the healthiest local connections that I've seen since everybody started working and playing from home during the pandemic, so it definitely doesn't appear to be a network fault.

In taking a look at the hub itself, I've also not been able to identify anything which would immediately be a cause for concern. Your downstream power levels are creeping towards the upper threshold, but I certainly wouldn't expect it to cause this much of a drop in speed. The equipment itself is reporting no faults and all backend checks come back fine.

I'd be tempted to arrange an engineer visit so that they could take a look at all the connections within the street cabinet and your home to ensure that nothing is loose or damaged. Have you ensured that all connections within your property are tight and secure?

I appreciate that you've already spent some time speaking to our teams on the phone, so I understand if you'd rather leave the disconnection in place and not take any further action. However, if you have confirmed that everything is correct within your property and would like to go ahead with booking an engineer visit, please let me know and I'll drop you a private message to get this scheduled in.

Thanks,

Rachael

harry88fairhall
Tuning in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for looking into this Rachael. 

I have to say you have done more this morning than the 'technical support' team did over the weekend. 

I'm using the standard router that came when it was installed. 

I do have 2 connection points in my home so I can try to switch it for the other one and see how that turns out however, this would be an inconvenience as I am working from home and my company PC requires Ethernet connection

0 Kudos
harry88fairhall
Tuning in
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I have moved my router to the other connection port and as you can see, the internet is no better. 

As I have put forward cancellation already, am I likely to have an engineer check everything before that's completed?

If notes are on my account with an offer will you honour this (part of the reason I am leaving is because I'm told no)

0 Kudos
Rachael_F
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hiya,

Thank you for letting me know that you're not using any additional equipment. It seems to be the pending disconnection preventing me from viewing any devices, as I expected.

Normally, only one connection in your home would be active, but I appreciate you trying the alternative socket to see if this improved things. We can usually arrange engineer visits for within a few days, so I'm happy to get that booked in for you.

If an offer is clearly noted on the account with the type of service and the price, our support teams would normally be able to honour this. If the price is not available to them via our normal package negotiation tool, a manager should be able to apply a rolling credit if appropriate. We wouldn't normally perform package reviews via this platform, but I understand that this is part of your concerns.

My suggestion would be to arrange the engineer visit and see if we're able to resolve the speed issue before making any changes to your account. If I were to process a package change, we would have to remove the disconnection request, meaning that any future cancellation would need a new notice period. I'd hate to cause you any further delay if we're unable to address your broadband issues but have already made account changes. I'll drop you a private message now to arrange a suitable appointment and we can always discuss your package once the visit has been completed.

Thanks,

Rachael

0 Kudos
harry88fairhall
Tuning in
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for taking the time to look into this. 

I have just had a phone call confirming what you said, have arranged for an engineer to visit on Friday AND confirmed my discounts in writing.

For now I'm happy. I will wait and see what the engineer says on Friday

0 Kudos
Rachael_F
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Fantastic! I'm really pleased that you've been able to address these issues with our other support teams. Please do let us know how the visit goes on Friday, I'll be more than happy to take another look if you're still having trouble.

Thanks,

Rachael

0 Kudos