cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow internet speed in second bedroom - Yellow light

Ross_Hill
Tuning in

I have had virgin media (broadband only) for almost 2 months. There is a yellow light on the Hub. I have never seen a white light, since installing.

The Hub sits in the lounge, internet speeds in the lounge are normal/good. My study room is about 6 meters away from the hub in another room and the internet speed here on my laptop is weak. I have tried 2 different laptops in the study, both are very slow on the internet. Both mobile phones don't seem to be having internet slowness issues in the study room - mainly the laptops (they are new models)

Further details:

- Hub 3

- M200 Fibre Broadband package 

- one laptop and 2 mobile phones connected

- I've done a hard reset of the hub multiple times. I've also tried to reposition it/ face it it other directions/make sure nothing is blocking it.

- Using the Virgin Media connect App on my phone, I tested the signal strength across the rooms. It said the Hub has great connectivity and the Study room scan came back as "Great"?

Should I have a white light instead of yellow on the Hub? Why is it yellow - is it related to the slowness in the office room?

Why is it just the laptops? Their connectivity to the internet says "weak" as soon as I enter the study room. This is only 6 meters away from the Hub 3 with no interference or blocking the signal.

Plead advise urgently as this is affecting our ability to work from home.

Thanks!

Ross

6 REPLIES 6

jb66
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The light can be a warm white which looks yellow, this is not a fault and is normal.

Is your study room a converted garage or have thick walls? Seems your construction of house is blocking the WiFi. Perhaps a mesh system might be needed if you need stronger wifi.

Thank you for your reply and insights.

I can confirm that the study room is not converted from a garage, the walls are not abnormally thick, and it is about 5-6 meters from the Hub in the lounge.

I'm not too familiar with a mesh system, would it be recommended to get a wifi booster or mesh? It would be great if someone from Virgin Media could check it out.

There are two networks used in WiFi. The older 2.4GHz band and the newer 5GHz band.

The 2.4GHz band can cover a greater distance but is limited on speed.

If the problem is only with the laptops then its worth checking which band they connect to.

Right click on the 'fan' icon in the system tray then select 'Open Internet & Network Settings'
Then click on 'Properties' for the WiFi you are connected to.
Finally scroll down to the bottom of the page and check the 'Network Band' and 'Link Speed'

If it's connected to the 2.4 GHz network then there are some things you can do to force the laptops to use the 5GHz band.

I can confirm that both laptops are connected to the 5GHz band as per your directions below.

Laptop 1: 

A windows laptop ASUS Zenbook Core i7. Connected to 5Ghz band in the study room, wifi signal bars falls from full 4 bars to 2 bars.

Laptop 2 (main one):

Chromebook Z5400F Notebook PC. Under Wifi Settings -> Frequency this reads 5220 (5Ghz?). Signal Strength goes from 75-80 in the lounge (where Hub is based) to under 30 in the study room.

Are there any other troubleshooting options I can try?

Would a Wifi booster help in this regard?

Once again many thanks for you help on this!

Ross

Personally, I would put it in modem mode and use my own router! - I did this and have not looked back!

The Hubs are decent enough modems but pretty poor routers!

------------------------------------------------------------------
Hub 3 - Modem Mode - TP-Link Archer C7

Hi @Ross_Hill,

Welcome to our community forums and thank you for your first posts.

Sorry to hear you are having issue with your WIFI in your study room especially with your laptop. We can understand that  this is not ideal and we want to do our best to help.

I have ben able to access your account to take a further look in to this issue for you. There are no issues back end regarding this. Our automated systems have done a number of diagnostic checks on your Hub and your devices so you should be receiving the best WiFi signal possible. You have also set the laptop to be connect via 5GHz band as advised by our community. Just to confirm, do you experience similar issues with wired devices?

You may also find the following useful https://www.virginmedia.com/shop/broadband/intelligent-wifi-pods-new.

Please get back to me when you can.

Thanks,

Akua_A
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs