Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Slow download speeds

Hi. I'm on the M100 package. Been mostly fine for nearly 2 years. Recently getting issues like Netflix not playing etc. When I look on speed test I'm getting about 6mb on average. Spoke to VM who told me I have too many devices connected. I have 32 but most are smart plugs and Alexas that I'm guessing don't use much. Only Xbox and TV streaming that I would guess are heavy usage. They advised I upgrade to a faster speed. Any advice before I do? Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Slow download speeds

Are these slow speeds on Wi-Fi or ethernet cable connected devices ?

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Semi-Retired Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

My Broadband Ping - 26_Aug_2020
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

WiFi. It's bizarre though because it's been fine for ages. Have I got too many devices connected?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

What speed do you get at >> speedtest.net << with a direct connection using a Cat 5E/6 cable between the Hub in Router Mode and a 1Gbs capable Pc/Mac/Chromebook and no other devices connected ?

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Semi-Retired Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

This isn't something I've tried yet. Will need to test it when nobody in as kids are on Xbox. 

Previous speed tests on my phone have been 108mb. Now I get 6-7. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Wi-Fi speeds are immaterial, there are far too many factors that can affect Wi-Fi.

Mike Robinson

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Ok cheers. Is a better hub and VM in modem mode worth a shot? Seen a few posts saying their hubs are poor.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Everyday of the week and weekends as well.

Mike Robinson

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Ok thank you. Any you recommend or any to avoid? Appreciate the help 👍🏻

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Avoid own brands such as BT, Amazon, Argos & John Lewis etc.

Go for TP _ Link, Netgear, Ubiquiti, Cisco.

As for recommendations, only you know the ...

Budget,

Environment,

Workload the device will have to support.

Have a read of online PC and Networking mags to get an idea.

Mike Robinson

0 Kudos