Menu
BradCobbs1
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Slow download speeds, very intermittent.

Hi, I moved into our new build house that has virgin already wired in.

We purchased the 200mbps when moved in and never really reached the full amount, so upgraded to the 350mbps.

It is constantly fluctuating from as low as 20mbps download up to 350mbps.

I have been sent a new virgin hub 3 and set that up this morning.

Still getting very poor readings over wifi and very fluctuating readings over LAN.

The house is connected into a utility cupboard in which I'm having to place the hub due to where the fibre cable comes in. 

Could I use the Virgin hub 3 that I have replaced as a router in another room if I link them by LAN?

Here are my wifi download speed tests that I have done on my Mac.Screenshot 2020-04-20 at 09.55.42.png

I know my PS4 isn't the best thing to test speeds on Via LAN but it's the only connection I can test via ethernet. It ranges from 30-300mbps (Mainly on the low side)

Was hoping to use the other router in another room via cat 6 ethernet to be more central and provide better WIFI instead being at the furthest point from living room etc.

Thanks in advance, Brad.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
ianp2
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Slow download speeds, very intermittent.

Hi, I I’ll message you now to try and help. 
ian 

Here to help! I'm a technician helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

0 Kudos
HarryVMTech
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi Brad,

Please send me a PM (Link Below) with your account number and area ref and I'll look into this for you

Unfortunately, you won't be able to connect the old hub to use in this way. You'd have to get a 3rd party router to do this, or it may be worth looking in to a mesh system (Netgear Orbi etc.). Although they are more expensive, they are a brilliant piece of kit and I know people who get flawless coverage and speeds with them.

Thanks
Harry
VM Field Tech

Send Me a PM!

Here to help! I'm a technician helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

If I've helped in any way, please give me Kudos and mark my response as a Helpful Answer once issue is resolved!

0 Kudos
BradCobbs1
Joining in
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Could anyone recommend a router that I could connect via ethernet into the living area and use the hub as a modem?

All the rooms have cat6 ethernet hard wired.

I have a PS4 that I require to be hard wired in the living room. Can I plug the PS4 into the extra router without any drop in speed (Presume it will be taking some of it if it's connecting to other devices via wifi?)

If that's the case can I place the router on a different ethernet port in the room behind the living area without any drop?

2 ethernet ports out of the virgin hub in modem mode - 1 router for the wifi in the house and PS4 hard wired.

Assume this will be the way to go, as the wifi can be very poor in the living room and we are unable to move the virgin hub due to the input location of the fibre cable.

0 Kudos
BradCobbs1
Joining in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi, update on my still very intermittent speeds.

I was still getting very fluctuating speed tests, a lot of lag online, drop outs and just generally very poor service.

Having already had 2 hub3 routers, I decided to purchase an ASUS gaming router and turned the Hub into a modem.

Speeds were much better on WIFI and also LAN in general, but still getting drop outs and it's constantly fluctuating. 

I had 20 mbps download Via LAN yesterday which just isn't good enough when paying for 350mbps.

I've seen I can get BT FTTP 900 mbps for the same price I'm paying so I'm considering chopping it in completely.

The virgin website is useless, constantly kicking me out and making me sign back in when trying to complain (Convenient)

When running the speed fault test it comes up with a fault and says reset the hub, which I do and then says try again. When I try again and it's exactly the same it says try the same thing. Now it won't allow me to test again.

967d454ca33e0bc2ffa3959a5e45c327da7b01c1-01-05-2020.png

Is this normal?

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Have you configured the router properly?

What speeds do you get if you wire directly to the hub in modem mode?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
BradCobbs1
Joining in
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

The speeds have increased since configuring my new router.

Out of the modem I’m seeing anywhere between 10mbps and 380mbps - same as the router I’ve installed.

Few of my friends that live in the area are also experiencing very poor connections on the same package. My router seems to have helped stabilise my connection compared to what they are experiencing but it’s starting to make playing online unenjoyable. 

I have checked all the connections many times on the hub and the line back to the wall.

Makes sense to get the BT 900 mbps for the same price if it’s there ready to plug in in my utility cabinet

0 Kudos