Menu
DarkRooms
Tuning in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Slow download speed

Hi... Just joined today so first post....

I'm on the M200 package to which should be Min 107mb to Max 213mb...

Check with " Speedtest " quite a few times since upgrade and shows only between 84-89mb?

from my PC with Ethernet cable and tablet with WiFi.... any help with this would be appreciated.

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Slow download speed

First thing to ask is what ethernet cable are you using. Remember Cat5 is only specced for 100mbps so may well max out below that

Cat5e/6/etc are for up to 1GB.

Also, is the PC NIC card set to 100mbps rather than to 1GB?

On wifi, which Hub model are you using and are you on the 5GHz band or connecting on the slower 2.4 GHz band ? ?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
DarkRooms
Tuning in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your reply... I didn't know about the Ethernet cable,  I've checked and it shows 100mbps... If I change the cable to 1gb then will I see a big improvement to my download speed?

0 Kudos
DarkRooms
Tuning in
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I've change the setting from 100mbps to 1gb no change...
0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

So what ethernet cable is it? Try changing it for a new cat6 one. Old one do fail - I have had several do that over the years.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
DarkRooms
Tuning in
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I'm going to be revamping computer room soon, so new cable will be needed. I'll look into the Cat 6 as a replacement...

Now that I understand the difference with the data speed.. Thanks for that help.....

My laptop shows just over 72mbps speed with WiFi... does that seem ok?

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Depends on the device and the band you are on.

For example, my Macbook Air and iPhone7 both get 220mbps on my Vivid200 wifi connection (and 220 on ethernet of course). However, on wifi, they only get that when I put them onto the 5GHz network. Sat in the same spot if I then flick them over to the 2.4GHz network, they max out at 70-80mbps (others on here get even lower [<50] on their set ups) - it's just the limitations of the technology!

--------------------
John
--------------------

0 Kudos
DarkRooms
Tuning in
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Ah.... I'm beginning to see the picture here. I'll be looking into the setup side of the hub....

Thanks for your info... Cheers.

0 Kudos