Menu
rob-johnson
Tuning in
Message 1 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Slow download speed on only one device

Switched to virgin media from BT this week, all devices immediately saw big boost in download speeds, except one desktop (a lenovo) which is consistently much lower - sometimes barely getting past 1mbs whilst everything else is getting 70/80mbs+ (and even in slow times is acheiveing 30mb).

I've tried uninstalling/reinstalling network card, and all the usual stuff google brings up.

It's very odd, as on our BT Home Hub around a month ago it was getting 20-30mbs on a much slower connection. Now, on a faster connection, it's getting a tiny fraction.

Any ideas?

0 Kudos
rob-johnson
Tuning in
Message 2 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Re: Slow download speed on only one device

One other odd thing about this problem: regularly the speed test shows the upload speed exceeding the download speed. Just now 5.95mbs download, 9.11mbs upload.

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Is the old girl a 2.4GHz only device? If so it might benefit from getting a 5GHz wifi dongle (less than a tenner) so it can connect on that band and get the higher speeds form that.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
rob-johnson
Tuning in
Message 4 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Thanks, but no she does both those bands and switching to neither seems to work. Phone or laptop in same room gets 10x the speed and she also got much better speed on a worse connection with bt hub.

Any other ideas?

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Wont be much help i'm afraid as I am a MS free-zone - only got Apple gear.

But... update all the drivers?

What DNS server is it connected to in the settings - is it the same as the other devices?

Try booting it into windoze safe+networking mode and trying speedtests that way, to disable any potentially interfering software - test speeds at... https://speedtest.samknows.com/

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
rob-johnson
Tuning in
Message 6 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Thanks, but tried all unfortunately.

Do any mods have suggestions?

Very frustrating that working fine with previous internet connection, but suddenly on virgin media almost nothing...and no phone line to troubleshoot, they just direct you to the blindingly obvious stuff which we already tried (ie, search the forums, reboot your router, etc!)

John_GS
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Hi rob-johnson

Thanks for posting and apologies for the low speed on the lenovo device. 

How are you conducting the test, wired/wireless?

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

0 Kudos
rob-johnson
Tuning in
Message 8 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Mainly wireless as the computer is not in the same room as router. But wireless never been a problem before on other routers, and isn't an issue for any other device in the house.

And indeed the upload speed on this PC is regularly maxing out at 10mb+ (which is the same for every other device), a fair way above this PC's download speed.

0 Kudos
John_GS
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for coming back to me.

Can you try the wired test for me on the device but only that device connected at speedtest.net - let me know how you get on

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

0 Kudos
rob-johnson
Tuning in
Message 10 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Wired was exactly the same problem when tried before. Which makes sense, as the wireless connection worked fine on BT Hub, so it isn't a hardware problem with the PC.

0 Kudos