Menu
Jonnyl12
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Slow download on all devices

Hi,

I usually get 450mb download on average, after being away for a week i have come back today to much slower downloads of between 20-90mb (not consistent, but 90 is the max). The slow speeds are consistent across all my devices, wired or wireless.

I use the hub 3 in modem mode with an asus AC86U router. I have restarted the hub, and reset the hub but the problem persists. I haven't changed anything that i am aware of.

Please can someone assist?

Thanks,

Jonathan

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Slow download on all devices

Are those speeds on wifi or ethernet cable connections ?

Can you test both ways and see if they are the same?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Jonnyl12
Joining in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the reply John. The issue persists with both ethernet and wifi.

The problem seems to only effect the download speeds, as the upload seems normal around a 36mbps average across 3 tests.

Thanks for the support.

Jonathan
0 Kudos
Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

What speed is the ASUS reporting for the WAN link?   90mb max sounds like something has dropped the WAN connection down to 10/100 ?

You could try a full 60 second pin hole reset on the Hub.  Do not reboot after the reset, just let the Hub do it's thing.  Also try a new Cat 6 cable for the WAN link.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Jonnyl12
Joining in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the helpful response.

I replace the cable with a new cat7 one i had spare, and retested on my devices (both wired and wireless) and still can't pull above 100 download. I did however run the speedcheck from my router and I am pulling 530mbps to the router. It seems the issue lies here somewhere as its then not subsequently passed on to the devices. I have no QOS enabled, and I'm testing now in an empty house with only a few devices connected. Any ideas what it might be?

I'm going to run a factory reset on the router now to see if that resolves my issue. 

0 Kudos
Jonnyl12
Joining in
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

so after a factory reset of the router, I'm back in business, I've restored my settings and everything still seems fine (for now). The settings are exactly the same, so a little strange as to why download was dramatically different (but not upload).

Honestly no idea what caused the issues, my bad for not considering the router as the culprit!

J
0 Kudos
Serena_C
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi @Jonnyl12

Ah, brilliant! Thanks for letting us know that everything is working fine for you now, that's what we like to hear 🙂

Any further problems please do get back in touch,

Best wishes,

Serena

0 Kudos