Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Slow down speed, high ping.

Here are my speed tests (speedtest.net) from the last 2 weeks, 23 in total, I will put a red line to show what my package says I should be getting (350):

SpeedSpeed

I have done all the tests and restarted my router multiple times, the test is being done on a wired PC connection. Nothing has changed on my end, yet my speed has dropped dramatically. 

Not only is the speed VERY low, the connection is very unstable. I game a lot, and 1 minute my ping is fine the next it is high, then low, then high. When running the test itself you can the stream of data coming in is not smooth at all..

My speed has dropped as low as 10mbps for long durations and its been a while since I have seen that magical 350mbps as you can see from the picture above..

My upload is different story, smooth as butter and stable.

2 complaints and 3 hours of being forwarded to the wrong departments via customer service I am now here. 

Can anyone help with this? 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 2 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Re: Slow down speed, high ping.

Weird how its now fixed all of a sudden..

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 3 of 17
Flag for a moderator

I take that back... was too good to be true, lasted for what? 12 hours? back down to a sub 100 Mbps unstable connection..

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 4 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Here's the online support that is offered:

14:54, Jun 27

Rhys: hi there, how can i help today?

You: Hi i need technical support please

Rhys: yes, how can i help?  <- RHYS PRETENDING HES TECHNICAL SUPPORT

You: I have been getting a slow and unstable internet connection for the last month now, coming and going, i have tried everything your website has to offer on fixing it to no avail

Rhys: im very sorry about that, what ill need to do is get you through to our help team who will be able to sort that out for you, you might even need a new router, please allow me to get you through <- RHYS PASSING ME TO ANOTHER DEPARTMENT BECAUSE HE ISN'T TECHNICAL SUPPORT

16:00, Jun 27
Priya: Good afternpoon! Thanks for contacting the Web Messenger team, I've got your query and I'll help you fix it, in order to do this, I just need to get a few details. To begin with can I have your Full Name? and are you the Account Holder? And finally can I have the Account Number?

(Spending some time trying to answer security questions but every time the chat refreshes from navigating through the virgin media site, it breaks..)

16:20, Jun 27

Priya: I can see you have contacted us today regarding slow internet speed, is that correct?

You: yes

Priya: I really regret about the inconvenience you're facing.

Priya: Now that we have cleared security, let me connect you to the technical team, they will help you further.

You: Oh i thought you were the technical team

Priya: Due to corona virus, as we have limited staffing, it’s taking much much longer than usual to answer your message. Please don't drop the chat session, a representative will be with you shortly.

Priya: No 🙂    <- again not technical, smiley face

Priya: Please be online.

17:12, Jun 27
You: ..   <- Me just checking my chat is working because im still waiting

17:53, Jun 27
You: 14.54<- Me just checking my chat is working because im still waiting

18:06, Jun 27
You: ... <- Me giving up waiting for the 3rd day in a row because 3 hours is a joke. Same story the day before and the day before that. Issue still not fixed, customer service haven't got a clue what they are doing

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Hi spudas2k,

Thank you for your post and welcome to the community. 

I'm very sorry to hear about the issues you're having. 

Can you please confirm if the issues you're having are affecting both a Wired & Wireless connection? Can you also confirm if the speed is a continually slow or if it is intermittent?

^Martin

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 6 of 17
Flag for a moderator

I do my speedtest checks wired from my pc, but to make sure it was not a pc related issue i also ran some tests using my phone - which had the same results.

The bad speed is intermittent 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Right I see. What I am going to do is private message you so I can take a further look into this. 

^Martin

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 8 of 17
Flag for a moderator

So just dropped down to 10mbps for about 30 minutes, now back up.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 9 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Back down to 10mbps again

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 10 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Are you wired direct to the hub or via a switch or powerline plug?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos