I am getting very slow read speed from my office VPN connection

11Mbps write, 0.8Mbps read

if I connect over hotspot 4G I get faster speed 15Mpbs read 30Mbps read

A speed test of my connection is 200Mbps download 20Mbps upload

8 REPLIES 8

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
There have been lots of similar threads on the "Networking" forum. Search that and see if there are any consensus fixes

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Had a look, found some similar issues but no fixes in there

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Did you see this one?

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/Hub-5-Workplace-VPN/td-p/5133773

IIRC - the consensus is that the only guaranteed way to sort the VPN issue on VM Hubs is to put the Hub into modem mode and use your own better quality router and wireless equipment.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Tried modem mode, one pc plugged in via ethernet. No difference in speed.

The issue must be with the routing on the VM network

Kain_W
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi there kevinnashuk,

Thanks for your post and welcome back to the community.

Can I ask regarding this, are you experiencing any issues on different devices too?

Let us know,

Kain

Many years ago someone had this problem with PPTP where the super hub 1 was faster then the hub 2
---------------------------------------------------------------

kclfc
On our wavelength

Did you get a resolution to this?

I have a similar issue with slow down while connected to the office VPN too. Fast.com shows significant speed drop while connected to the VPN. 

I have a case open with the IT guys at work and they're "investigating" but I thought it prudent to have a poke around the internet for answers.

was it a HUB issue or a network issue?

Natalie_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi kclfc, 

Thank you for posting to the thread. 

I am sorry to hear you are experiencing issues with the service when using a VPN. 

Is the device connected to the internet via WiFi or an Ethernet cable please? 

Do you have any issue with any other devices? 

Let us know and we will be happy to assist further. 

Thanks, 

Nat