Menu
timhenshaw
Joining in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Slow broadband

I have slow broadband download speed. I have checked everything I could to see if there is a physical issue. When checking the screwed in wire at the back of my hub 3, I sprayed the coaxial wire with WD40. Having then reconnected the cable, rebooted the hub I had for a short while 90+ mbps but with in a short while it had dropped again to less than 9mbps. My laptop is connected by ethernet cable so I am not reliant on wifi. Does anyone have any suggstions as to how I can improve the cable connection as this maybe my problem

Thanks

0 Kudos
Megan_L
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Slow broadband

Hi TimHenshaw,

thanks for using the forums to get this issue looked into with your broadband, I am sorry if its been causing you some frustration. 
Usually what we would ask you to do is just follow these links in order to try and resolve it before we have a look- 
Slow Speeds Help
Intermittent Connection
We may also ask you for a bit more information so we can understand your specific issue like have you checked your speed using our Speed test site here? Also we may need you to use a BMQ graph to gain more of an insight into your HUB's performance, this needs to stay active for 24 hours so we can see a good chunk of activity. We also may need to you reboot your HUB so that the data on the HUB's logs can reset, this helps the performance and also helps us identify any issues on our side. 

I have checked your services on my side and cannot see any outstanding issues, everything is within spec. 

Have you got another Ethernet cable to try to see if its an issue with the wire? 

Please let me know what you find out after following these steps!

Thanks,

Megan_L

0 Kudos
timhenshaw
Joining in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi Megan L,

I have tried most things recommended. One thing that I did which gave 99Mbps for a few seconds was disconnect the HUb from the virgin input cable(not sure of the correct name but the one that came from the splitter), I sprayed the connection with WD 40 and recommected it tightly and rebooted the hub. This did give a good download speed briefly, but using the Ookla speed checker it went back down to 9Mbps within one hour. I don't know what a BMQ graph is or how to do it.

I did disconnect all cables from the hub leaving only my laptop connected and there was no wifi use at the time and this gave a download speed of less than 9Mbps.

I will try a different cable between my laptop and the hub, but cannot change the cable between the splitter and the hub. 

I suspect the issue is either the input connection to the hub or the hub itself and I have no way of checking either of these

Thanks

Tim

0 Kudos
Megan_L
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi Tim,

Thanks for coming back to me about this and for following most of the tips 🙂

A BMQ graph is a really useful tool for us, it records the drop outs and packet losses on a visual graph so we can actually see how your broadband is performing. If you can go here BMQ, sign up, create a graph and keep it running over the next 24 hours and then post a screenshot of the graph I will be able to help further.

I would also love to see if using another Ethernet cable helps improve things. 

Thanks so much,

Megan_L

0 Kudos
timhenshaw
Joining in
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi Megan_L,

The BMQ link doesn't work for me every time I click on it and open a new window it gives me an error message. Please advise.

Tim

0 Kudos
timhenshaw
Joining in
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi Megan_L,

The link had an extra https in the url. now got on to the site.

Thanks 

Tim

0 Kudos
timhenshaw
Joining in
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

timhenshaw_0-1611249627381.png

Hi Megan_L

Above is the BQM for the last 24 hours. I haven't a clue as to what it means.  Tim

0 Kudos
Natalie_L
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thank you timhenshaw

Apologies for the delay in response and thank you for providing the BQM. 

Have you been able to try another Ethernet cable please?

Nat
0 Kudos
timhenshaw
Joining in
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi Natalie,

I have changed the ethernet cable and the speed checker now says it is where it should be. I didn't realise the cables made such a difference.

Tim

0 Kudos