Menu
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Slow broadband

I have 362Mbps broadband and mine is not even doing 100Mbps. Also every week night i get 200Mbps from 6:00 pm to 12:00 am. Then by magic it seems to go full speed dead on 12:00 am without fail.

This is After virgin is over charging me £57:00 for 362Mbps broadband only when it is only £52:00.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Slow broadband

Slow speeds in the evening, and restoration of near full speeds around midnight are classic symptoms of an area over-subscription problem (put simply, Virgin Media selling more contracts than local equipment has the capacity for).  Sometimes they'll admit to it, and sometimes they'll even do something about it.  The cause can be is an equipment fault that can be readily rectified, or it can be a pure capacity issue (those can be expensive and difficult to fix, so VM sometimes deny there's a problem when they know full well, and when a bit of investigation proves the issue).

Could the VM forum staff investigate and advise, before skunky gets asked to fiddle with hub settings, retrieve status logs, do a pinhole reset, or place his hub in a bucket of water whilst standing on his head?  Note for skunky, sometimes the VM staff take a day or two to respond.

If there is an over-subscription problem and this has been going on for some time, then you could reasonably request compensation for the fact that you're paying for a service that VM are not providing.  Best way to do this is to search out Virgin Media's Complaint Policy, and submit a complaint by letter.  If you have a disagreement on what you were told you would pay and what you are paying, that should be dealt with in the complaint as well.  Keep the letter clear and simple, explain the background, the current status, and what outcome you want (compensation and a lower price), and keep the speed problem separate from the cost dispute.  If you don't get the outcome you want, the Complaint Policy tells you how to escalate the complaint to the arbitration service CISAS.

If VM reckon that there is no over-subscription issue, then we can proceed with other fault investigation approaches.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi skunky,

Thank you for your post. I'm sorry to hear you're having issues with your broadband speed. 

I have taken a look in the area and it does look as though there could be an issue. I have reported this to be investigated. 

^Martin

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for responding.

Thanks to both reply's

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

You're welcome. 

^Martin

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Well just to let you know i am downloading at 7mb a sec from https://www.thinkbroadband.com/download and all speed test are showing the same. For someone who pays for speeds that can download 48mb a sec this is way to low even if it is evening times.

If everyone in my hole street was downloang at the same time im sure mine would still go faster than these £25:00 a month connection speeds. This is not even anything like i was told before that some one with my connetion speed virgin will try to make it at least 180mbps even at peak times

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi skunky,

Thanks for coming back to us. How are you testing the speeds, wired/wireless? Also the devices used? I've checked in the background and no issues are showing. The hub has not been rebooted for 17 days, so can you try a reboot then a wired non-console speedtest with only 1 connected device for me, at speedtest.net

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi again

I power off my modem left it off for about 2 mins unplugged everything bar my pc the device i done the speed test on. I even recorded the first speed test from speedtest.net after powering the modem back up. Here is the vid of the test and other proof http://www.filebig.net/files/fMyHfAKghh Notice after 6:00 pm my connection drops to 200mbps every day without fail til 12:00 am then it go's back to full speed this has been doing this for months and i have other post of the same thing from months ago and still no change

I have a fast pc and a intel 1 gigabit ethernet card in as you can tell from the vid there is nothing wrong with my setup

Thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I forgot to say i never have wifi turned on on my VM modem its is always wired to my pc

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi Skunky,

Evenings are our peak times and you may be experiencing peak time traffic however I'll send you a Private Message so I can take a look into your account and see if anything is amiss.

Regards,

Lisa

0 Kudos