Menu
only1garibaldi
Joining in
Message 1 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Slow broadband with ethernet cable

I understand Virgin can reduce your internet speed if you are behind with your bill,as my bill is up to date now, my broadband speed is approx half the speed it should be.There is no faults in my area and by running a speed test it says all is ok,this has been going on for 3 days,my question is how long does it take for Virgin to put my speed up to what it should be,I have been trying to work from home but I am restricted,please help 

0 Kudos
MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Re: Slow broadband with ethernet cable

They don't throttle speeds for non payment of bills, they stop the service.

Have you checked the 'Check Service Status' at the top of the page ?

If nothing is showing try phoning 0800 561 0061, this will tell you of more local issues that may be affecting the area. Be aware that it isn't a manned line.

What is your contracted speed ?

What speed do you get using a direct connection using a Cat 5E/6 cable between the Hub in Router Mode and a 1Gbs capable Pc/Mac/Chromebook and no other devices connected ?

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.
0 Kudos
only1garibaldi
Joining in
Message 3 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Hi Mike,thank you for your quick answer

I have checked service status, there is no local issues,the hub is up against my desk top,my tv and virgin box is downstairs,this is the only problem I have had. this set up has been like this for a couple of years with no problems,I am running on 100 Mbp,cheers Gary

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Are you testing on wifi? If you are test over an ethernet cable connection. Test at speedtest.net on a browser an not on the App - which often produces slower speeds.

To rule out your equipment causing the issues, put the Hub into Modem mode and try again on ethernet.

If still low boot the pc/laptop into safe+networking mode and try again on modem mode.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
only1garibaldi
Joining in
Message 5 of 21
Flag for a moderator

speed test,results were 16.70 Mbps and 10.07 Mbps,I only run my pc on the ethernet cable,I am just wondering if it is the router that is at fault and I should ask for a new one,thanks,Gary

0 Kudos
MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 21
Flag for a moderator

First thing to do is try a different cable.

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.
0 Kudos
MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta
Message 7 of 21
Flag for a moderator

What is the indicated* speed for your PC connection.

* This is the speed the connection is capable of, not the actual speed.

Ideally you want to see 1000Kbs (1Gbs)

0 Kudos
only1garibaldi
Joining in
Message 8 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Finally I got through to a voice ,after explaining to the person everything I had done with the advice from the community and the recorded messages he told me there was a local problem,although it says on the portal there is no problems and it will be fixed by 6pm this evening,and at 3.55pm I received a txt from Virgin saying this issue is now fixed.....well its not,I am still having the same problem

0 Kudos
MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta
Message 9 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Try a reboot to see if the Hub can renegotiate a better connection using this method ...

Switch the Hub off using the small switch on the rear of the Hub next to the power cord and pull the PSU plug from the wall socket.

Give it a good 5 minutes put the plug back in and switch the Hub back on.

Allow the Hub a few minutes to fully restart then try your connection again.

0 Kudos
only1garibaldi
Joining in
Message 10 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for all your help,I have just tried what you suggested but its still the same,I am going to ring them again today 

0 Kudos