Menu
albchong
Tuning in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Slow broadband that intermittently drops service

I have an M500 service and a Hub3. My Desktop PC (Linksys 1Gbps) is connected directly to the hub using virgin media's Cat 6 cable. I have been on the phone to VM for the best part of 7 hours today. The last thing to happen was the call centre agent reset my hub to factory settings swearing that it would fix my issues - speed is still slow. He suggested the intermittent faults should be monitored over 2 more weeks. Whilst the speed has increased from 118Mbps to 290Mbps I do not believe the issue lies with my configuration, especially since it was happily running at 550Mbps until I started checking it this afternoon after getting bored with the intermittent service. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
frustrated_57
Just joined
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Slow broadband that intermittently drops service

Sorry - no ideas! This is more of a solidarity reply. 

I'm trying to work via a remote connection to a workstation. My PC is also connected to a hub3 with Cat 6 cable. My Citrix connection is timing out and kicking me off the workstation. Work has logged my connection, and the issue is all at my end: "client connection failure" and "unavailable capacity".  I'm getting about half my advertised bandwidth, and what I do have is laggy and intermittent.  The Citrix timeout is 1 minute which gives an idea of how dismal my connection is.  I never did manage to get through to VM phone help - had to reset my own hub. It made no diffference to my connection either, but you've got to do it......

0 Kudos
albchong
Tuning in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

@frustrated_57 - Sorry to hear your woes. I've rewired my room - too long to go into. I'm just doing a speed test now and I'm getting 520Mbps. My guess is the statistical overbooking of bandwidth is something rotten like 20:1 causing congestion, head of line buffering etc. Probably okay in the early days before Zoom was a thing but now network engineering needs to be revised because of the way teleworking is conducted these days. I'll keep monitoring the intermittent nature of the internet and report back.

0 Kudos
albchong
Tuning in
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Had a tech visit yesterday. He told me that there were lots of attenuators outside the property so he removed them confident the problem would be solved...it hasn't...I'll give him the good news tomorrow 😄

0 Kudos