Menu
Rivendell63
Tuning in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Slow broadband speeds

So whilst this isn't a critical or life threatening issue, and I am aware of the greater problems faced by so many at present, I would still like to know why my broadband speeds are so dire as to not even achieve your stated expected minimum speeds. Your suggested tips have been followed without any improvements I would be very pleased if someone would contact me regards this as trying to make any progress over the phone has previously caused more frustration than the poor and pathetic performance of the broadband service ...... 

I have ran several speed tests over recent weeks and at varying times of the day but my speed never seems to improve. I'm only on the M100 service which I have to admit has performed admirably up until around March time. Since then my average speed is below your expected download speed of 54Mbps.....

I await your response

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Slow broadband speeds

wired or wireless?
0 Kudos
Rivendell63
Tuning in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Wireless connections and equipment in same positions .. usually I can get speed to pick up by rebooting router (not that I should need too) but no difference of late

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

wireless can change at any point for reasons you can't control or predict.

You need to test the speed wired as VM do not guarantee any speeds wireless
0 Kudos
craig115
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I'm getting similar issues. Paying for 350 getting half that, on wired. Just a point however on your comments on WiFi, you can get full speeds on WiFi,. if your proximity to the box is right next to it there should be little difference, especially on a 5ghz connection. Annoys me if virgin dismiss that as in some houses that's all people have (WiFi).

Anyway Virgin getting back to it I have a wired connection with only half speed and am in the ts23 postcode which is reporting no issues. Second night in a row the broadband has dropped and I'm getting half speeds. What's going on? 

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Please start your own thread 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Rivendell63
Tuning in
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

So I may have resolved my problem having changed channel settings and fully resetting the router. I'll wait and see if the speeds remain stable as I have historically had to reboot the router, which again I don't think I should need to do ...

Stay tuned 

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

It may well fix it then it again it may not.

How did you come to which channel to switch to?

If it does slow down again you need to speedtest with a wired connection to ensure that the connectivity and speed to the hub is fine. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
0 Kudos
Rivendell63
Tuning in
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I downloaded on my phone a wifi analyser and noticed another VM router using same channel although signal strength was less than mine. Switched off the auto channel selection thing and manually set them. 

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Good stuff.

Did you disable “smart” WiFi as well?

0 Kudos