cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow broadband speed

roger121
Tuning in

I am in the first month of my M100 Fibre broadband contract and the speed has been disappointing. I switched from EE landline broadband to fibre in the hope of getting a much faster and more reliable connection. I have tested my connection this morning (0911) using the Virgin Speed Tester and have the following result : 3.2 Mbps download and 2.0 Mbps upload. Since the start the best test result I have recorded is 44.4/10.1 which was achieved on 21/6 at the approx same time (0857). These results are with 2 mobile phones and 1 laptop using the WiFi. Apart from the speed the connection has been good and reliable 24/7. Is this the best I can expect speed-wise? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Natalie_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

HI roger121, 

Thank you for posting to us here on the Community. 

I am very sorry to hear you have been experiencing issues with your WiFi speeds since joining, we are here to help. 

As Adduxi has advised, we are unable to guarantee speeds via WiFi as there are many factors that can impact this. 

To rule it out, we would recommend taking a look for any known issues here.

For help with improving speeds, we would recommend visiting here.

Please let us know if we can assist further. 

Nat

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

6 REPLIES 6

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

VM do not guarantee wifi speeds.  You will need to test speed via a direct wired test using a Cat 6a cable.  However, see below;

Try checking with Area faults on 0800 561 0061 or if you have a VM landline 150 as small local faults are not listed on the VM status page.

Post the power levels, Pre and PostRS errors and network log from the Hub. Also setup a BQM to monitor your circuit www.thinkbroadband.com/ping

Once done we can comment.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Natalie_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

HI roger121, 

Thank you for posting to us here on the Community. 

I am very sorry to hear you have been experiencing issues with your WiFi speeds since joining, we are here to help. 

As Adduxi has advised, we are unable to guarantee speeds via WiFi as there are many factors that can impact this. 

To rule it out, we would recommend taking a look for any known issues here.

For help with improving speeds, we would recommend visiting here.

Please let us know if we can assist further. 

Nat

Hi Nat,

Thanks for your reply. 

I will have a look at the items in your links and see if they can be of help. 

Will keep you advised. 

Kind regards,

Roger

Hi Nat,

I have looked at your links and yes I have previously run through these tests with no obvious results.

I have followed them through again this afternoon :

The main indication is that all my devices are indicating poor signal strength.

I am using laptop in upstairs room and Hub is downstairs. 

Firstly I rebooted the Hub and there was no significant difference. Pre reboot I tested at 2.3/1.9 Mbps. Post reboot tested at 4.2/2.9 Mbps (at 1614 hrs). 

An interesting comparison was speed on mobile upstairs was 10.1/9.2 Mbps and laptop 2.7/2.2 Mbps (at 1833 and 1835).

I tried laptop downstairs at about 2m in front of Hub and speed was 5.8/9.0 Mbps and 3.6/9.0 Mbps upstairs.

So no real difference in location.

These results are about the same as I was getting with EE using the BT copper phone line connection.

I did note on installation of the new Virgin fibre that the Hub didn't come as a new packed unit but as an open Hub and PSU and I wasn't given any sort of documentation. It just came out of the van. Perhaps Hub is faulty?

Roger. 

Hi @roger121 thanks for getting back to us.

Sorry to hear you're having ongoing WiFi issues.  I would love to help you resolve this. I am going to send you a private message to confirm some details.  Please look out for the purple envelope in the top right of your screen.

Regards

Lee_R

Hi Roger121, thanks for getting back to me privately.  

This is just a quick note to confirm you're satisfied with the response and efforts of the forum team?  Remember, if you ever need assistance in the future, our fantastic community and forum team are always willing to lend a hand. Also, please bear in mind that our website offers lots of helpful information and also, you can manage your account from here.

Regards

Lee_R