Menu
Robert190388
Tuning in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Slow broadband speed

Hello any virgin media team around? The engineer come out twice today because I have slow speeds. But he can’t find a fault swapped out my router for new one still didn’t fix my slow speeds. I’m on m350 package And my speeds are ranging 140 to 200?

enginner said my speeds are far to slow. But can’t find fault. 

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Slow broadband speed

What speeds? Wired or wireless?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Robert190388
Tuning in
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

93 mbps cat 5 yeah I’m upgrading for gaming. WiFi 200. The engineer said thers an issue but it’s not showing up so he can’t fix it. Even phoned the woman i was talking to said there is a fault.

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

CAT5 maxes out at 100Mbps so 93Mbps with a CAT5 cable is spot on.

CAT5e/6/7 will give you speeds up to 1GB. 

200Mbps on wifi is also about right. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
0 Kudos
Robert190388
Tuning in
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

You say WiFi is about right  been with virgin 2 years now my speeds always been to 350 never dropped out till 3 weeks Ago? Virgin woman on the phone said your speeds should not drop below 300 ever unless thers a fault. 

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

They can’t guarantee wifi speeds - the person on the phone doesn’t know what they’re on about. 

It only take on small environmental change to knock wifi off-kilter such as a neighbour getting a new router etc.

Have you looked into optimising the wifi channels?

0 Kudos
Robert190388
Tuning in
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

optimising not sure what that means?

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Getting your own (better) equipment and running it alongside the virgin hub 

0 Kudos
Robert190388
Tuning in
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

What router do you recommend /equipment?

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

If you want to improve Wi-Fi across your property then a mesh system like BT Whole Home will work, or if you can run cables then some wired Uniquiti Access Points. 

Failing that another router will work such as an ASUS AC86U and run the virgin hub in Modem Mode.