Menu
wonkotsane
Fibre optic
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Slow broadband and poor signal strength on set top boxes

My girlfriend pays for 100mbit broadband but speed is poor. I've just done a number of speed tests and the best I got was 48mbit which, at 11pm, is not great. I've checked the signals and they're all good. The network log shows nothing of interest.

I'm assuming the problem is contention, however there are apparently issues with the power coming into the house. There are 4 set top boxes in the house and signal strength on each one ranges between ~45-60%. One of the set top boxes is connected via a powerline adaptor which a Virgin engineer installed saying it was a booster. As far as I can tell it was to save the effort of cabling through the house, not to boost the signal which is poor. The TVs occasionally lose some or all channels and the picture often pixelates.

Any thoughts on whether the two issues are related?

Edit: The hub is a SH1 and the set top boxes are one regular V box, two V+ and one TiVo (not the V6).

Massage an ego, click the kudos button. If someone answers your question, mark it as helpful.
Be nice, eat all your vegetables and keep your room tidy.
0 Kudos
jb66
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Slow broadband and poor signal strength on set top boxes

48mb is about right for a superhub1.  It's only a 2.4ghz device.

You need to call up and get a new deal, 3 of your set top boxes are obsolete and should be swapped for v6s and your hub would get swapped to a sh3 at the same time

0 Kudos
wonkotsane
Fibre optic
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Didn't think about it only having 2.4GHz connectivity, it must have been the shock of seeing a SH1 in the wild. She's thinking of ditching it all as it is, she doesn't feel like she's getting value for money considering she's been a customer for 21 years and customer services in India is shocking. She's had many engineers out trying to address the issues in the past apparently but she gave up in the end because they told her it's as good as it's going to get. I'm not sure where the DP is but it's on a housing estate so shouldn't be too far away I'd have thought. It would be useful if they gave the DP number on your online account.

Massage an ego, click the kudos button. If someone answers your question, mark it as helpful.
Be nice, eat all your vegetables and keep your room tidy.
0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Get her to try calling “Retentions” on 150 or 0345 454 1111 - options 1-1-4-5 "Thinking of leaving" - they are open Monday – Friday, 8am - 8pm and on Saturday from 8am - 6pm. – [early is best!]) you will usually get a UK call centre who’s staff are more informed and helpful. Tell them you are thinking of leaving for Sky/BT because of these problems and is certainly out of contract so can leave without penalty in 30 days. They will try and sort it for her (as it’s their job to keep customers). They will immediately offer an upgraded package with new Hub & TV boxes (V6!) speeds, etc. in lieu of starting a new 12/18mo contract. See if the offer is attractive if it is take it if it isnt just say no thanks. Then call back next day and they will certainly replace the Hub and V boxes for free with no issues - but it auto-starts a new 12mo contract

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos