cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow broadband M500 running at between 150 and 200Mbps

dkintheuk
Joining in

Hi,

I've tried everything you recommend and several things that I have read about elsewhere.

I cannot get the speed of my broadband above 250Mpbs and this has been the same for most of the time I've been a customer.

The router reports the Acquired Downstream Channel as 619000000.

So why is the actual connection so slow?

I'm using a wired connection directly to the router and separately via a switch but I get the same speed report either way.

Please help.

Rob.

12 REPLIES 12

I understand that the amount of data bandwidth is shared by all devices in the property. Basically, you are trying to show me that all my problems are the internal network in my house, right?

So how do I test the internet speed separately from your router?

Should I have a single piece of equipment like my PC connected directly to the router by Cat 6 ethernet and nothing else on or connected and see what speed I get then?

If that comes back the same is that some proof?

I'm intrigued by the message that a device is too close to the router. How far away are things supposed to be? Bearing in mind that the cables for the router are too short for me to place the router where I want to.

Thanks,

Rob.

So, I've re-read all this and several other threads and I've come to the conclusion that what you are trying to tell me is that this is just how fast I can get from the router to my device regardless of how fast the data can get to the router. If I do a test with one device connected via Cat 6 ethernet directly to the router, I should in theory get the maximum throughput. So, for example, if I disconnect everything except my Playstation, which is conveniently next to the router and turn off WiFi on the router then I should be able to check the speed via the PlayStation and that should be the full speed, right? Just tried it and I get a varied result between 110Mbps and 347Mbps down and 3Mpbs and 9Mpbs up. I'm guessing you'll say that proves it's working fine.

Hi dkintheUK, 

Thanks for coming back to us on this. 

To check the speed the Hub is receiving, we would recommend you connecting a PC or Laptop directly in to the hub using an ethernet cable. This will give us a better understanding of the speeds being delivered to the hub. 

You'll need to ensure the ethernet cable is cat 6 minimum and also that your PC/Laptop network card is set to 1GB. 

Looking at your account, the uptime is now showing as 21 days so no reboot has been done since Zoie's post. Make sure you are turning the Hub off, and leaving off for a few minutes to allow it to refresh. Connect the ethernet cable to the Hub while it's off, and disconnect any switch or third party equipment you have already connected to it. Plug the ethernet cable in to your PC/Laptop and then turn the Hub back on. Once it's up and running and the lights have settled, run a speed test through speedtest.net and pop a screenshot of the result here. 

Your current power levels and signal levels are all optimal. The logs you posted earlier shows the correct config for the Hub and the area network segment you're on has no congestion so there is nothing to say why you are getting the slow speeds. 

Once we have the results from your PC/Laptop speed test, we can dive in further to help. 

Speak soon, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs