Menu
Joining in
Message 1 of 2
Flag for a moderator

Slow and intermittent broadband

Hi there,

Since we've had a virgin media engineer in our street a few days ago we've been experiencing broadband issues.

Firstly the signal was dropping on and off every now and then, and now are speeds are incredibly slow.

I've done all the usual checks and even factory reset the hub which seems to have made the issue worse! I should be getting speeds of 100mps but I'm lucky if it reaches 2mps! 

I understand that due to covid, call centres are stretched but I cannot get a hold of anyone from virgin media.

We have a TV, phone and broadband package but we only use broadband, the TV box isn't even plugged in and we haven't used a home phone for almost 6years and don't own one, therefore can't dial 150 to contact virgin, can only call from mobile and keep getting cut off. 

At this point I'm ready to leave virgin media altogether. We pay way too much for what we use but we can't even get a hold of anyone to do this either! 

If anybody out there has any suggestions on either how to contact virgin or how we could possibly solve our broadband issue, any advice would be much appreciated!

Kind regards

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 2
Flag for a moderator

Re: Slow and intermittent broadband

Why are you paying for a TV package if the box isnt isnt plugged in ? You need to call in and negotiate another package - if you intend staying that is of course.  I would also recommend you get a VM Mobile PAYG SIM and just use it for free in an old mobile to call to the VM 150 helpline

In the meantime - have you checked for “known network faults”?

As well as trying the “check service,” Area status webpage" (link at top right of this forum), also try the “free” Service Status number - 0800 561 0061 - which usually tells you of more local issues down to postcode level (that may not be listed on the Area Status web page which usually covers >1000’s of customers) - that may give you more info, but even that wont cover problems affecting just a few customers.

If nothing shows on there, try calling it in as a fault (on 150 VM line - or 0345 454 1111 others) and see what they say when they test your connection. If they say it’s a known fault, get a fault reference number – n.b.- the UK call centre is still picking up and calling at 08.00 gives the best chance of getting through quickly, although I got through recently in 20' at ~1pm midweek.

Or, a VM person should pick this thread up as soon as they see it and be able to help in a day or two.

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos