Menu
Thorofasgard
Settling in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Slow and Problematical Broadband

I’ve been with Virgin for a few years now and it just seems to be getting worse and worse and when you actually get to speak to someone they don’t care and do not offer solutions to the problems.  Today my wife phoned me and said the kids can’t get on the internet to do their schooling and the school is complaining that they are missing from class.  I advised them to all move to the room where the router is so they can work it’s that bad.  If I step outside the living room it’s rare to get a signal now on WiFi, it never used to be like that.

I’m on the 100mb line speed and virgin said last week upgrade to 200mb and all will be good, I did say if you can’t make 100mb work why would 200mb be any different.  Silence.  They want more money and a new contract, no thanks.  My daughter has to use her phone contract to get internet upstairs, my son can’t get anything at times from his room downstairs, it’s poor really poor.

So can anyone help me please as right now I feel very downbeat about it all.

I joined think broadband as that seems to be something that gets offered as advice.  Here is the detail hopefully I’ve understood it correctly?

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/634bcb2c1894b539ac3ba8479d2f2d25b7...

Thanks for any help or advice given, I really do appreciate it.

0 Kudos
MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Slow and Problematical Broadband

Welcome to the Trials & Tribulations of Wi-Fi

VM do not, and never have guaranteed Wi-Fi speed or coverage.

The problem with Wi-Fi is that it can be brilliant at breakfast time and useless by lunchtime and you haven't changed anything, BUT, something, somewhere has changed, then you can spend hours and even days trying to find a fix for something that can be totally out of your control.

If you remove all the internal walls, water, electronic and electrical devices, metallic pipes and conduits and wrap the whole building in a thick lead shield you will have a good chance of getting decent Wi-Fi from an ISP Hub.

Just a few things that can affect Wi-Fi in the average home environment …

Blockage (visible) …

Mirrors, furniture, fish tanks, people, radiators, walls, flooring / ceilings.

Interference (invisible) …

Cordless phones, baby monitors, microwave ovens, fridges & freezers, TVs, next doors Wi-Fi and Wi-Fi equipment, DAB transmitters, the list is endless.

My VM Hub 3 Wi-Fi went into meltdown when the local authority / police CCTV camera on the lamppost adjacent to my house was used.

Many people have accepted that the VM Wi-Fi is poor and have purchased third party equipment that is much, much more powerful than the VM supplied kit and once set up have wondered why they waited for so long.

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.
0 Kudos
Thorofasgard
Settling in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks, so are you suggesting I get rid of the VM router?  If so what do I buy?  Will it then be decent once more?

0 Kudos
MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

The first thing to do is verify the broadband signal coming into the Hub, to do this do a check at >>  SamKnows << with a direct connection using a Cat 5E or better ethernet cable between the Hub in Router Mode and a 1Gbs capable Pc/Mac/Chromebook and no other devices connected.

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.
0 Kudos
Thorofasgard
Settling in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Ok I’ll buy he cable tomorrow, is any of these laptops good enough?

I5 laptop 

MacBook Air (brand new) 

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

@Thorofasgard wrote:

Ok I’ll buy he cable tomorrow, is any of these laptops good enough?

I5 laptop 

MacBook Air (brand new) 

Is that the M1 Air 🙂  Mine is on its way.  You will need a USBc/Thunderbolt4 -to-RJ45 ethernet cable - adapter - I got the Anker one from Amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Anker-PowerExpand-Gigabit-Ethernet-Aluminium-gray/dp/B08CK9X9Z8/

What ports does the i5 laptop have on it ?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

To be certain you need to be looking at something with a 1000Mbs Network Card or USB C / 3  or equivalent and a suitable ethernet to USB adaptor.

0 Kudos
Thorofasgard
Settling in
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

The i5 has the speed you mention.  The air is the M1 and I have the Ethernet connection for it already.  So both can do it then.

In terms of the i5 it appears to have every connection available to man.

0 Kudos