Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 34
Flag for a moderator

Slow Wifi

over the last few months my wifi speed has been slowing down.  I can no longer get a good signal in a couple of my rooms.  I have just watched the video about improving wifi and found out that the hub should not be on the floor or next to any furniture.  If I had known that i would have changed the position, but there is no give in the wires.  Seems strange that the technician would install it like this but fail to mention it.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 34
Flag for a moderator

Re: Slow Wifi

Are wired connections working OK?

Its the engineers job to install the hub and how WiFi is setup and optimised is down to the user. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 3 of 34
Flag for a moderator

Wired devices are fine.  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 34
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

The you need to optimise the WiFi (split the WiFi bands, move to cleaner channels etc) or failing that purchase a better router or mesh system. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 5 of 34
Flag for a moderator

sounds technical, but i will give it a go.  thank you

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 6 of 34
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Could you access your router using http://192.168.0.1/ .

Log in using the password on the base of the router, unless you've already changed it.

Navigate to Advanced Settings \ Wireless \ Security

You will see two sections, one for 2.4 Ghz and one for 5 Ghz. Change each 'SSID' to something different to identify which one to connect to. Personally I appended the existing name with '_2G' and '_5G'.

At the very bottom click 'Apply Changes'.

Note you will need to reconnect all wireless devices as the SSID (Network Name) will have changed.

When re-connecting use the '_5G' name if it's visible, if not use '_2G'.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 7 of 34
Flag for a moderator

fantastic - thank you

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 8 of 34
Flag for a moderator

I'm not guarenting it will help, however at least you can 'force' your devices to connect to what should be a faster band on the router.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 9 of 34
Flag for a moderator

Thanks.  I have gone into the settings and there are only 2 devices on 2.4.  When I run the diagnostic tool, the result is showing that the home network has a few problems, but I am not sure what to do next?  Any idea.  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 10 of 34
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Did you make the changes I suggested?

What was it saying regarding problems?

I've just run it on my router and it's telling me that most of my wireless devices aren't close enough to the router. It's a pretty rubbish conclusion as they are all fine!