Menu
Joining in
Message 1 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Slow WiFi speeds on Hub4

Hi all,

Recently upgraded to the new Hub 4 router (1Gig service).

I'm finding the Hub-4 1Gbps wifi experience worse than my previous Hub 3 with 500Mbps

Tested it via Samknows and the speed to the hub is fine (1000Mbps regularly), however the speed to my devices isn't great and is actually worse than before, even when near the hub. I am also having trouble gaming, I seem to get regularly lag spikes (every evening) whereas I didn't with the hub 3. Wondering if it's something an engineer needs to look at?

Any advice is appreciated.

0 Kudos
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Re: Slow WiFi speeds on Hub4

The problem with Wi-Fi is that it can be brilliant at breakfast time and useless by lunchtime and you haven't changed anything, BUT, something, somewhere has changed, then you can spend hours and even days trying to find a fix for something that can be totally out of your control.

If you remove all the internal walls, water, electronic and electrical devices, metallic pipes and conduits and wrap the whole building in a thick lead shield you will have a good chance of getting decent Wi-Fi from an ISP Hub.

Many people have accepted that the VM Wi-Fi is poor and have purchased third party equipment that is much, much more powerful than the VM supplied kit and once set up have wondered why they waited for so long.

Just a few things that can affect Wi-Fi in the average home …

Mirrors, furniture, fish tanks, radiators, walls (some more than others), cordless phones, baby monitors, microwave ovens, fridges & freezers, TVs, next doors Wi-Fi and Wi-Fi equipment, DAB transmitters, the list is endless.

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Semi-Retired Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

My Broadband Ping - Mike Robbo
0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 3 of 18
Flag for a moderator

I do get your point but I don't think expecting better WiFi performance from a next-gen hub with a faster BB service is unreasonable? Plus, the issue I'm having when it comes to gaming is relatively significant and not something I experienced with my hub 3.

This could all be my fault (dodgy quickstart installation), it might not be a VM issue, I'm purely seeking advice to help rectify my issue.

0 Kudos
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 18
Flag for a moderator

No UK ISP guarantees Wi-Fi, there are far too many outside influences that can interfere with the Wi-Fi broadcasts.

Expectations far exceed reality when it comes to Wi-Fi.

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Semi-Retired Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

My Broadband Ping - Mike Robbo
0 Kudos
Community elder
Message 5 of 18
Flag for a moderator

When people pay for a faster broadband connection they often think that their WiFi will be faster too.  Unfortunately that usually isn't the case. 

0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 6 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Maybe I am expecting too much.

Telcos do offer WiFi guarantees, however it's worth noting they're usually relatively low numbers (up to 10Mbps), and I'd imagine its because of the reason you outlined above about it's hard to offer guaranteed wifi speeds as there are so many factors that affect it that are out of their control.

I would still like to iron out the issue of excessive lag when gaming though. Last night I put my Xbox next to the hub (both via WiFi and ethernet) and I experienced hardly any lag - as you'd expect. However when my Xbox is in its usual place (my room) I get pretty bad lag. I didn't get this with the Hub3. It also doesn't seem to be game specific as it's occured on multiple games. If my only real option is to get a mesh system to boost the signal then I'd prefer to go back to my Hub3.

0 Kudos
Community elder
Message 7 of 18
Flag for a moderator

When the WiFi signal decreases with distance or obstruction, there are errors that occur causing data correction and repeats. That inevitably causes signal delays and latency.  If you want better WiFi throughout the house then you will have to invest in a mesh system.  But ethernet will always have less latency that WiFi.    

Problem sorter
Message 8 of 18
Flag for a moderator

@jpeg1 wrote:

When the WiFi signal decreases with distance or obstruction, there are errors that occur causing data correction and repeats. That inevitably causes signal delays and latency.  If you want better WiFi throughout the house then you will have to invest in a mesh system.  But ethernet will always have less latency that WiFi.    

+1 for above, gaming kits should always be cabled IMHO.  Everything in my house that has an ethernet connection is cabled.  🙂

0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 9 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the response.

I do agree that where possible ethernet should be used, and it's totally understandable that you get signal degredation the further away you are, and expectations have to be managed accordingly.

My point though, is that I never had this with my Hub3? I had no lag when gaming and yes the WiFi wasn't perfect but it was still pretty good. So, in my opinion, I shouldn't have to buy a mesh wifi system for the Hub-4 when I didn't need one with my Hub-3.

0 Kudos
Community elder
Message 10 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Any change to a WiFi router can make a difference for better or worse.  It may use a different channel to the previous one, or be in a slightly different position. 

In the case of the Hub4 it is a different physical shape to the 3 and with its internal aerials arranged differently so the radiation pattern will be different.  Try moving it about a few inches and a different way up.

0 Kudos