Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Slow WiFi on 200mb deal

 Getting max 40mb WiFi with a 200mb deal even in the same room as the router. Router page suggests the attached. Can anyone advise if this is as expected for the 200mb deal; is it a router issue or a user issue?

49B32388-2C0C-4C68-8C5C-9D6D12240DCE.png

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Superfast
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Slow WiFi on 200mb deal

Do you get full speed over wired connectivity?

Wifi isn't strictly guaranteed as it's based on the lowest device capability in the chain.

You can split the two wifi bands into two SSIDs (Network names), as I have done below, by appending the existing name with '_2G' and '_5G':

Once you Apply Changes at the bottom you must reconnect all wireless devices since the SSID has changed.

You are now deciding which band each device connects to, rather than the HUB, which means you may get faster speeds.

Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hello

The only way to reliably test speed of the internet is with a cable directly to the hub this is what VM guarantee, there is a great post with some further wireless troubleshooting at https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Digital-life/How-to-get-the-most-out-of-your-Hub-3-0-WiFi/ba-p/...

Wireless connection are prone to interference for many sources, including nearby routers on the same channel, the make up of the house, i.e. stud walls will not block as much as old iron rich bricks, etc.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
Joining in
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Good shout. 5g pulls 125mb WiFi which is significantly better than previously. Thanks

0 Kudos