Menu
shangardezi
Tuning in
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Slow WiFi and frequent drop outs

Hi team,

I'm increasingly getting frustrated with Virgin Media's service. The internet drops out frequently and we're getting sub-par speeds. I'm on the 200mbps package and even with a wired connection I'm only getting 90 - 95mbps, over WiFi it's 50mbps at best. 
The router wasn't installed in the best place (in a bedroom on the floor), an engineer advised to install power-line adapters as Virgin will charge £100 to move the router. Virgin installing the router in a bad place and then charging me to install it in a better place is ridiculous. 
Outages in our area so common and bill credit is never issued, regardless if you register loss of service.

I'd really appreciate some help here as we're professionals in our household and rely heavily on a good connection to work from home. Our contract expires next month so if we're unable to get the advertised speed and whole house coverage, we'll simply move provider.

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re: Slow WiFi and frequent drop outs

Do you work from home all the time or just due to COVID?

When testing wired speeds are you wired direct to the hub and not via any Powerlines, switches etc?

Note that guaranteed speeds are for speeds delivered to the hub only and not WiFi speeds, and “whole house” coverage is also not part of any guarantees. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
shangardezi
Tuning in
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

More so now because of COVID, otherwise I usually worked from home 3 days a week. The wired speeds I quoted are direct from the hub.

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

90Mbps via a cable would indicate either a CAT5 cable or the Ethernet adaptor on the device is only limited to 100Mbps and is not Gigabit enabled. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
0 Kudos
shangardezi
Tuning in
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

I'll look into that. 
I get 30mbps over wifi standing right in front of the hub. Can someone please look into this?

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Via what device?

0 Kudos
shangardezi
Tuning in
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hub 3

edit: via my android device and macbook

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

What are wired speeds like?

I know you posted previously about 90-95Mbps and that would usually indicate a CAT5 cable and/or an Ethernet port not supporting Gigabit

0 Kudos
shangardezi
Tuning in
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

I'll look into the type of ethernet cable I'm using, though the wifi speed needs to be looked at. 
Can someone from Virgin please help?

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

WiFi speeds form no part of any speed guarantee 

0 Kudos