Menu
Blueskiesaregre
Joining in
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Slow VM350 WiFi

Hello,

I’m not technically proficient. I recently upgraded from the M200 broadband package to the M350. I’ve run numerous speed tests through the recommended speed test website and app, on many different devices. The fastest my download speed has ever been was on day three after I upgraded to M350. That was 134mbps. Usually I am given a reading of 40 to 90mbps. Does anyone know why it would be this slow? I live in Bromley, Area 20. 
I’ve attached a photo of the speed test that I’ve run just now. 

My home hub .3 is in a central place with no clutter around it. We are a family home with 15 devices regularly connecting (which is why I upgraded to M350mbps). On the old package, my family sometimes complained of slow speeds, buffering and dropped signal. On the M350 package, all family members are saying it’s even slower and more dropped WiFi signals. Kids now prefer to use their 4G data than our home Virgin Media broadband. 

i have reset and rebooted the home hub .3 many times, chatted online to VM tech support, but no success. I don’t expect to receive 350mbps, although when I upgraded, the VM operator said that M350 runs differently and we would always receive 350mbps, no matter how many devices are using the WiFi signal. I do expect better speed than 200mbps. 

I hope that someone could help me please?

Many thanks. D8D8F42C-63F4-41F8-B632-D644ECC81EAB.jpeg

0 Kudos
jpeg1
Community elder
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re: Slow VM350 WiFi

Upgrading the broadband speed will only give a faster connection with wired devices.

The WiFi speed depends on many factors in your house, and with many devices sharing it they will only get part of that speed each. The Hub has only very basic WiFi and many people find that they need to buy a better WiFi device or a mesh system to give solid coverage of a busy household. 

0 Kudos
Blueskiesaregre
Joining in
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Wise Owl. I wish the sales operator at Virgin Media had told me what you’ve written. She said 350Mbps was “guaranteed” on all our WiFi devices because M350 rubs on a different method to M200. Oh well, you live and burn money. 

Thanks. 

0 Kudos
jpeg1
Community elder
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

I'm afraid sales people are the same in Virgin as everywhere else. 

0 Kudos
Blueskiesaregre
Joining in
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

‘runs’. Not ‘rubs’. That would be something entirely different! 😀

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Sure - a single-band 54Mbps wireless N device will achieve 350Mbps speeds :eyeroll:

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Blueskiesaregre
Joining in
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Sorry Gary. I don’t understand what you mean?
0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

It’s a joke - don’t worry.

Just pointing out the flaw in the sales persons gubbins.

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
0 Kudos
Blueskiesaregre
Joining in
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

I purchased the M350 broadband because it is sold as being a great package if you use multiple devices in your home.  See the VM website stating this. (Photo attached). 

Should I ask to return to M200 which was nowhere near M200 but faster and less dropouts?

I know that I’m the equivalent of a person who drives a car but doesn’t know how the engine work, but I just want broadband to work close to the speed sold to the consumer. 

Many thanks. 

B2D206A7-678E-4C95-B083-A5A9AB307470.jpeg

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Speed means bandwidth.

If 10 devices max out 200Mbps of bandwidth and you need to connect 15 devices then going to 350Mbps is beneficial. 

0 Kudos