cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow Upload Speed to Twitch and other platforms

Gary144
Tuning in

Hi, the issue I'm currently having is in relation to my upload speed.

To stream as a broadcaster twitch requires a consistent upload speed otherwise frames of the video feed are dropped.

I have a 21 Mbps upload speed and far exceed the 6,000Kbps (6Mbps) upload speed that twitch requires, however my upload speed is very inconsistent.

Currently and recently I've seen my bitrate to twitch fall to 200Kbps and bounce between 200Kbps and 6,000Kbps causing as many as 35% of the frames sent to twitchs servers to be lost/dropped.

I've streamed on twitch for many years and this loss of upload speed is a recent issue, all of my other hardware is perfectly capable and has been capable of streaming at 6,000Kbps(6Mbps) in the past.But now YouTube and Twitch have this same upload issue

I had a Technician from Virgin Media check my Coax cable on Saturday and he requested another technician to repair a fault in the road outside my house the first technician stated that the "low end frequencies" were practically "non existent" and that it should be sorted after the fault is corrected in the road.

The second technician has now been and the ticket raised for the road fault is ended but the problem is still there.

I then called tech support who said they'd monitor my connection and email me their findings.

Any help with my situation would be appreciated, I feel like I don't have a question to ask other than can anyone help me find a solution to this problem?

Some additional info would be that my Hub shows a constant orange light and there are no other blinking or flashing lights, as I mentioned the first technician disconnected my coax cable from the hub and tested it without looking at the hub , so could this issue purely be that the hub is in need of replacement? I've attached a photo of the hub

The PC I'm streaming from is on wired ethernet and is more than capable of streaming at 6,000kbps and has done in the past (Ryze 5 5600x and RTX 3070) so it's not an issue with the encoding bitrate, Twitch Inspector states that it's the network connection and not the encoding as well to rule out encoding as a factor.

Again thanks to anyone who reads this and suggests a solution, I'm going to call again tomorrow and suggest a replacement router and see how that goes.

17 REPLIES 17

Gary144
Tuning in

I spoke too soon about todays test.

Very suspicious that on the 24th, 26th and on the 31st, the first problems with the connection start at around the 1 hour mark
https://imgur.com/a/v4GQ1Pa
I don't have Twitch Inspector Telemetry for those previous days sadly as I didn't have access to the tool then, but it seems that when around 21GB(My math may be wrong but 6MB/s for 60 minutes or so) is uploaded to twitch, which could be 55 minutes, or 65 minutes, depending on the individual frame complexity that's when Virgin Media has issues, that then persist going forward. This feels like throttling and restricting twitch specifically, I'll save putting on my tinfoil hat until I have more proof, if only I had the data from the other days 

https://imgur.com/a/yZvT5x5
I'm suspecting that this is throttling, I kind of suspected it before, but it seems so clear now that it's happened multiple times in a row, 21GB an hour must be the limit on a 20Mb Upload speed connection before virgin media throttles it.

Take a look at the wording around data usage ...

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/broadband/broadband-usage-policy

You're going to need to spoon feed me the information that's relevant all I'm seeing is
"All Virgin Media broadband packages offer unlimited usage,"
and
the traffic management policy links to an empty pdf file
https://assets.virginmedia.com/help/assets/documents/Virgin_Fibre_Traffic_Management_Key_Facts_Indic...

What should I be seeing here?

You have just see the traffic management document that in 2017 was filled in with limits on uploads in the evenings.
But the upload limits were abolished as they were greatly disliked by customers.   Not the document is cleared of limit details.

You can test for an upload limit,  send yourself a bunch of large files via WeTransfer - the upload rate should be at the subscription regardless of the volume.

So there should be no traffic limiting at all, got it.
The technician on the call a few minute ago has booked another in person appointment with a technician tomorrow morning, hopefully it'll be resolved without me doing anything further

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Did a test to Twitch at 6000kbps for 12hr without problem.
---------------------------------------------------------------

Hi, the issue seems to have been fixed.
My initial problem was a lack of stability in my upload rate to Twitch and other services.

The solution was to replace the connectors on all of the Coaxial cables from the street to my house and from the splitter that feeds my TiVo box and Hub 3.0.

Then the box in the road was fully replaced, after these fixes were undertaken I managed to stream for 6 hours to twitch at 6,000kb/s without any interuption.

Tl;Dr - corroded ends and outside hardware replaced fixed the issue.