Menu
Baka06
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Slow Speeds

Hi,

350mb package and only pulling 17.05mb on ethernet speed test. Working from home so this is not enough!!

IP2 area
Area 31

Call centres are now shut... someone help please.

Gary  

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Slow Speeds

If you think that you have a BB speed problem, then to check the speeds coming in to your Hub properly, and whether they match what you should be getting, you cannot rely on wifi tests, - no BB supplier guarantees those - only speeds "to" the Hub are guaranteed. So, you need to do it directly.... that's on an ethernet cable connected computer/laptop with the Hub in modem mode.

So make sure that your device has a gigabit network card (not a 10/100 one or one that is “limited" to that in its settings or you will never get over ~100mbps) and has the most up to date drivers. Use a new Cat6a ethernet cable (old ones do "fail" and Cat6 is best) to connect it directly to the Hub - which you have put into modem mode (see VM website for the "how to") this ensures only your one device is connected. Check speeds like that first.

If they are still low - then, boot up your (Windows) device into "safe mode with networking" (to disable any software on it that could be limiting speeds - lots do!). Run your speedtests at speedtest.net (do them on x2 close VM servers) using 2 different browsers - preferably with one of which is a fresh download of one you haven’t previously used (e.g. Firefox, Opera, Safari etc) - there are several reports on here of certain browsers causing speed issues.

Try that and report back what you get.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Baka06
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi John,

I'm not sure you read my first message... i've already done the test over Ethernet. Im no stranger to slow virgin media speeds and whats required to get an accurate reading.

Gary

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

OK no probs - you didnt say you had done it in safe mode so assumed you hadn't.

I have seen many threads over the last few years where software issues on the device was throttling speeds. The use of Chrome causing half speeds compared to using Firefox being one of my personal favourites - that's been reported ~2-3 times.

Even yesterday someone reported only getting 150mbps on the 350 package - until he unplugged his xbox that was in standby mode and it then shot up to 350 - go figure! There's a new one for my collection 🙂

Hope you sort it.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Ameer_H
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi

Can you PM me and I can run a diagnostic?

If I've helped in any way, please give me Kudos and mark my response as a helpful answer!

I am a serving Field Technician at Virgin however all responses on here are based on my experiences in the field alone and my own equipment at home and should be taken as such
You can also save £50 off your bill by recommending someone onto virgin media. To find out more PM me.

0 Kudos