Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Slow Speeds - A Virgin Media Me Too Problem

No I’m not talking sexual impropriety. I’m talking about speed issues and reading the community posts shows that I’m not alone.

The facts:

1. I’ve had the M200 package for almost 2 years and no problems until a month ago.
  2. Speed was consistently over 200Mbps but has dropped to under 90Mbps with only the occasional over 200Mbps.
  3. Speed measurements taken throughout the day using a wired connection direct from the VM hub.
  4. Contacted VM support - not once, but 4 times - and each time they go through their robotic script of not listening to what you tell them, and insist on rebooting the hub to see if that fixes the problem.
  5. No, it does not fix the problem.
  6. I have tried all the technical possibilities and more besides.

So with no constructive help from VM support, I thought I would try asking the community for help.

What does it take to get VM to send out an engineer?

[MOD EDIT: Subject heading changed to assist community]

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Problem sorter
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Slow Speeds - A Virgin Media Me Too Problem

What does it take to get VM to send out an engineer?

Sounds like you've tried all possible routes and you know what you're talking about.  If you're lucky a forum employee will take pity and engage directly with a PM.  Failing that you can search and follow VM's complaint process as you've got speeds below the VM minimum guaranteed speed on this contract of 107 Mbps.  Sometimes the complaints people do really well, other reports are less good, so might be a lottery.  Failing that, you could call the UK based customer retention team by calling 150 and following menus through to "thinking of leaving" - that's usually the most direct and successful option.

A real pity that although VM know that their third world customer support is utter crap, they don't care and refuse to change it.  They'd rather waste customers time and handle the same issue multiple times (still without fixing it) than establishing a decent UK based support service that fixes most problems first time.  Sadly there's not much to choose between the major ISP's - they're all equally incompetent, with pathetic scores on Trustpilot, whereas smaller ISPs show that even though Truspilot is a whingefest for unhappy customers, it is possible to do a lot better: Zen Internet get 7.5/10, AAISP 9.3/10, Aquiss 8.7/10, Hyperoptic 9.1/10.  The first three of those are Openreach based, Hyperoptic build their own small scale FTTP networks, so pretty comparable to VM's business model, excepting that VM have a lot of unhappy customers, Hyperoptic don't.

So coming back to VM and that miserable, miserable 0.5 out of 10.  That's too low to be an accident, Virgin Media senior management must be purposefully working hard to achieve such cutting edge awfulness.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

start with the basics

log into hub3 - 192.168.0.1 [or 192.168.100.1 if in modem mode] - DON'T SIGN IN, click - click router status [centre of screen] - and post the downstream and upstream figures - to see those press on the grey buttons/boxes labeled - upstream - downstream

if its an earlier hub button is top right

Tony
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi Tony,

Thanks for the info.

As yet I've not gone down that route because somehow I've manged to attract Virgin Media's attention and they sent me an engineer round on Friday afternoon.

Bottom line is that the engineer swapped out a bit of kit situated between the cable input and the hub as well as tweaking a couple of software settings. This had the result of apparently fixing the speed issue whilst the engineer was on site.

Later on when the engineer was gone the speed did drop back but is currently OK. I shall take regular readings for the next 7 days and if the speed drops off a cliff again I'm getting the engineer back.

So once again thank you for responding.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

Somehow I've manged to attract Virgin Media's attention and they sent me an engineer round on Friday afternoon.

Bottom line is that the engineer swapped out a bit of kit situated between the cable input and the hub as well as tweaking a couple of software settings. This had the result of apparently fixing the speed issue whilst the engineer was on site.

Later on when the engineer was gone the speed did drop back but is currently OK. I shall take regular readings for the next 7 days and if the speed drops off a cliff again I'm getting the engineer back.

Going forward, I shall just bide my time until BT and Vodafone get fast fibre broadband in my area and then consider my options if Virgin Media doesn't get its support act together and make it easier to get engineer visits.

So once again thank you for responding.

0 Kudos