Menu
iainbyrne1
Tuning in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Slow Speed

Been checking Broadband speed for a while now and despite paying for 200mbs we are regularly getting download speeds of 100-120 download and 12-14 upload on wifi which is much slower than it used to be.

Tonight I tried the Virgin "we'll get you back up to speed" thing. on the final step when it contacts the router I keep getting "no router found"

Any explanations please

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Slow Speed

Are you getting disconnections or is it just a speed issue?

And are the speed issues only evident on wifi connections or do you see them at the same times on devices connected on ethernet cables? If you don't know, can you check on ethernet to help diagnose whether it is just a wifi issue or it could be network connection related?

What Hub is it and what are the various Hub lights showing/doing when this happens?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
iainbyrne1
Tuning in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi John,

My partner Rose's PC is connected to router via ethernet and speed tests show download of 197mbs and upload of 21mbs which is fine.

Rose uses a tablet a lot and today told me she often notices "no internet available" on her tablet so I think we are getting disconnections as well as slow speeds.

We have a hub 3 and although all lights are on Rose says she has seen light flashing when no internet available.

Thanks, Iain

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Which light is flashing? The wifi light will flash when the wifi connection is down - but if the base power light starts flashing then that would suggest the connection to the network has been dropped.

But... if that is the case, then the ethernet connected PC would drop at this time simultaneously.

Can you connect these pieces of data together with the different devices dropping as it is looking to me like it may just be a wifi only issue and not a network issue.

Different courses of action apply to those 2 scenarios

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
iainbyrne1
Tuning in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi John,

Rose confirms WiFi light was flashing when her tablet said "no Internet" so looks like WiFi issues.

Just noted on my android phone "no Internet" message ran upstairs to router and WiFi light was flashing. Came back after a few minutes with no action needed. 

Iain

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

If it is a wifi only issue, then (on a Hub3) try separating the SSID's of the 2.4 and 5 GHz wifi bands by renaming them in the settings and at the same time switch off "channel optimisation" apply and save the settings. All wifi devices will need reconnecting to the best SSID at each location. Also use a wifi scanning App to find the best wifi channels to use (just select and use channels 1,6,11 on 2.4GHz) - this often helps Hub3 users get better wifi performance - but its still no substitute for getting better kit 🙂

To address the wifi, VM now supply “wifi Pods” (not “boosters”). Pods are free to “some customers” but most will be charged £5/month and right now they dont have enough supplies to provide them - unless you have a demonstrable wifi issue.

And at that level of investment you would soon pay off that cost by buying a "better" wireless solution that will be yours to own and use forever and which will cure all your wifi problems.

--------------------
John
--------------------

iainbyrne1
Tuning in
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks John, will give that a try  Iain

0 Kudos