Menu
BronaghB
Settling in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Slow Internet Speed and VM Ignoring the Problem

I contacted virgin media months ago about the pitiful internet speed and issues I was having. I’m paying for 350 fibre and barely receiving that. The internet can’t seem to handle more than 3 devices attached, constantly knocks off and barely covers the upstairs bedrooms. I’ve just checked my download speed and I’m getting 1.0Mbps with 0.5 upload Speed. 

I talked to chat 3 times and have explained the same issue 3 times with the same resolution of me needing a WiFi booster. Every time they ‘transfer’ me to the right department the chat ends and closes completely. 

Having enough I left a complaint months ago and have not received a response. I won’t accept that due to Covid that virgin media cannot answer any emails at some point. I’m really at a loss and so fed up for paying for a product I can barely use. I’m tempted to cancel and leave. 

0 Kudos
MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Slow Internet Speed and VM Ignoring the Problem

What is your connection like with a direct connection using a Cat 5E/6 cable between the Hub and a 1Gbs capable Pc/Mac/Chromebook and no other devices connected ?

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.
0 Kudos
BronaghB
Settling in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Because of where the hub was placed no devices can be connected to it directly via a wire. 

0 Kudos
MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

That being the case you don't know whether you have a problem with the internet entering the premises or a Wi-Fi problem.

Can you set up a Broadband Quality Monitor (BQM) at thinkbroadband.com - this will give you an insight into what is happening with the signal at the other side of the Hub, it will take a few hours to get any kind of trend showing although you can post the link straight away.

Post a link to your BQM on here.

Instructions for posting BQM Link

Under your BQM graph are two links in red.

Click the lower link (Share Live Graph) then click generate.

Copy the text in the Direct Link box, beware, there may be more text than you can see.

On here click the Link icon (2 links chain to the left of the camera icon)

In the URL box paste the link you copied and then click OK - you can post the link straight away.

Then

Can you please

Type 192.168.0.1 (192.168.100.1 in Modem mode) into your browser URL bar and press enter. 

When the page appears DO NOT LOG IN but click ‘Check Router Status’.

Copy and paste the contents of the Downstream, Upstream and Network Log tabs onto here, if you get a yellow warning click the Post button again.

A Guru will be along soon to decipher the info.

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.
0 Kudos
BronaghB
Settling in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

The booster is what the virgin media chat agents recommended after I explained the issue to them ...

0 Kudos
Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

VM's agents don't always know what they're talking about.  Your problem may be the wireless stuff (wifi), or it may be the broadband cable connection.  If it is the broadband, then boosters (or any other wireless changes) won't fix things.  That's what Mike's last request was attempting to establish whether there is a broadband fault.  Find and post the requested data (as formatted text, not screenshots) and we'll try and get to the bottom of this.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Beth_G
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi BronaghB,

Welcome to the community, it's nice to have you on board 🙂

Sorry to hear you've been having a few issues with your broadband speeds, and if you have not yet heard back from your complaint regarding the issues.     

From taking a look at the back end of your services, I can't see anything that stands out with your hub specs and everything is as we'd expect it to be. So my best assumption would be that this is a WiFi related issue (without being able to check your wired speeds)

Can you please perform a factory reset of the router for me? You'll need to stick a pin in the pinhole at the back of the router for at least 60 seconds to be safe - the hub will then cycle through various different lights while it resets. While you wait, I'd recommend taking a look at our WiFi tips pages here: virg.in/wifihelp  &  virg.in/WiFiwins    to ensure you're getting the best out of your home WiFi set up. 

Let me know if things improve from there and if you get stuck anywhere just give us a shout.

Beth

0 Kudos