Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Slow Ethernet speeds, when 2.4GHz & 5GHz are fine

I’ve recently been having problems  with my WiFi and it’s driving me insane at the moment. I speak on behalf of my dad as he is paying for the 200mbps deal

2 problems.

1. The wireless speeds were previously very erratic. Fine one minute, then the next, as an example, it was dropping to something like 5mbps, including the 5ghz. This affected many important zoom meetings. We got sent a new router... Seems fine, so happy days (For now, let’s hope)

2. For months on end now, all Ethernet devices, different cables, different ports, have all suffered from a massive speed drop. My pc was connected to Ethernet all year, got a solid 200mbps, sometimes more and I was happy. Just randomly about 3 months ago, it dropped right down anywhere between 60-90mbps and it’s been consistently like that.

What I’m struggling to understand is we’ve had a new router, along with fresh new cables going into the hub I’m guessing which is from the line. We’ve tested different cables, devices, and Ethernet ports. It’s all still the same, max 90mbps. 

At first I was pretty confident it was a bad router as that seemed like the only option. But given that our 5ghz network is fully working at 200mbps, clearly it’s getting enough speed from the line, so what’s bottlenecking our Ethernet? Connected devices on the hub settings are showing that my pc (Ethernet) is getting 1000mbps+ when clearly I’m not. 

Any help would be much appreciated. Probably be a lot better than getting in touch with virgin, it’s nearly impossible, and when I do they always say the same thing about resetting the hub. We’ve done that multiple times, and had a new router...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Re: Slow Ethernet speeds, when 2.4GHz & 5GHz are fine

Can you Login to the Hub Settings and navigate to the Connected Devices page - what does it report the 'connection speed’ as for the cable connected device you used for the speed test ?

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Semi-Retired Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

My Broadband Ping - 26_Aug_2020
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 16
Flag for a moderator

That’s what’s strange.

it’s showing it’s getting 1000 so it’s not been limited in virgin. 
I've tested it on different devices too with different cables and ports

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 4 of 16
Flag for a moderator

That’s what’s strange. it’s showing it’s getting 1000 so it’s not been limited in virgin. 

I've tested it on different devices too with different cables and ports

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 5 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Factory reset the Hub using this exact method ...

DO NOT DO THIS if the password on the base of the Hub is not legible or missing.

Instructions for Hub 3

Disconnect all unneeded ethernet cables from the rear of the Hub.

With the Hub Powered on use a paperclip or similar (I use a mobile phone SIM Slot tool) and do a pinhole reset.

Depress the pinhole switch for a timed 60 seconds then release.

DO NOT reboot the hub but allow it 5 to 10 minutes for it to boot itself up.

Once a steady white and no other lights are illuminated check your system again.

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Semi-Retired Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 6 of 16
Flag for a moderator

We did this probably about 4 times in the past.

And we had a new router fitted yesterday.

done everything virgin suggested 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 7 of 16
Flag for a moderator

@Jake4912 wrote:

We did this probably about 4 times in the past.

And we had a new router fitted yesterday.

done everything virgin suggested 

Have you tried a Factory Reset since the new Hub was fitted ?

Mike Robinson

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 8 of 16
Flag for a moderator

I don’t think that would do anything. It was a completely fresh router, we’ve tried it before and the problem has carried on even over to this router. I’ve changed the security key to WPA2 only, not the older versions. Made sure 2.4ghz and 5ghz is split. Checked everything on the hub settings. Wireless is fine now, it’s just the Ethernet that is still only giving around 80-90 ish

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 9 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Why have you come on here for assistance and then reject the advice that you have been given ?

I'm out of here.

Mike Robinson

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 10 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Sorry I’m not rejecting it?

im saying I’ve been told to reset, done it multiple times and it doesn’t work so logically that won’t be the answer unfortunately. I can’t just say thanks problem solved if I’m genuinely still having issues. Sorry for any confusion bud

0 Kudos