Menu
richardburton9
Joining in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Slow Broadband

Shocking speed the last couple of days - around 30Mbps most of the time but as low as 9Mbps sometimes. It's there a problem your side - have looked online but seems no area issues.

Thanks, Richard

0 Kudos
SCA1972
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Slow Broadband

Hi Richard

the forum staff arranged a tech visit for you in your other thread HERE.  Has that visit occurred?

My setup: VM TV box, M350 Fibre broadband with Hub 3 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
richardburton9
Joining in
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi Scott - no, it was cancelled as things seemed to improve (but not for long). Richard

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Have you checked first for the status of “known network faults”

As well as trying the “check service,” Area status webpage" (link at top right of this forum), also try the “free & automated” Service Status number - 0800 561 0061 - which usually gives the most up to date info. and tells you of more local issues down to postcode level. These may not be listed on the Area Status web page (Areas are not “Geographic” they are billing areas) as that usually only covers faults affecting 1000’s of customers) so phone may give you more info, but even that wont cover problems affecting just a few customers.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
richardburton9
Joining in
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi John - I've tried all the suggestions and there appear to be no faults. The problem is that the service is intermittent - speeds can be fine as they are now, but then can drop substantially as if they are being throttled. I have no TV aerial and use broadband instead, so slow speeds have a direct impact. It's been so poor on and off for the last year that I'm now considering moving to a supplier who can guarantee their speed. Hope you can help. Richard

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Are the issues only evident on wifi connections or do you see the same fluctuations at the same times on devices connected on ethernet cables? If you don't know, can you check to help diagnose whether it is just a wifi issue or it could be network connection related?

Also worth doing a quick check that all of your coax cable connections are in nice and "finger" tight - at the Hub and wall box and also at any connectors etc. Ensure there are no “unterminated cable loose ends. Disconnect all the connections and reconnect to be sure. Also check that the internal wiring is ok with no kinking or chaffing, check that all looks good with the outside cabling and wall box.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
SCA1972
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

@richardburton9 wrote:

Hi Scott - no, it was cancelled as things seemed to improve (but not for long). Richard

Who was it that cancelled the visit, you or VM?

If Gareth correctly identified power levels that were out of range then it would require a tech visit to get them corrected.  Poor speeds can be caused by incorrect power levels.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
richardburton9
Joining in
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi Scott - I cancelled as everything seemed sorted after talking to Gareth (in retrospect I probably shouldn't have). Does the engineer need home access to correct the power levels? Richard

0 Kudos
SCA1972
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

@richardburton9 wrote:

Hi Scott - I cancelled as everything seemed sorted after talking to Gareth (in retrospect I probably shouldn't have). Does the engineer need home access to correct the power levels? Richard

The staff don't usually book a visit unless they deem it necessary and I would always recommend getting any potential faults checked, even if they seem to have gone away. 

The power levels are usually corrected at the cabinet in the street, unless an attenuator needs to be fitted to the internal cable. However the engineer would probably need access to the hub to check the current levels in order to know which way to make the adjustments, up or down.

I can understand why you might not be comfortable with a home visit at this time and you can ask VM if there is anything they can do externally.

@ModTeam Please can you ask one of the forum team to visit this thread and check Richard's power levels again and see if a engineer booking is still required.

0 Kudos
richardburton9
Joining in
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for your help Scott - I look forward to hearing from the team. Richard

0 Kudos