Menu
Pault63
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Slow Broadband

I have vivid 200 mbs package. Checking it during the day I am getting between 20-40 mbs download and 10-18 mbs upload. Working from home now I find that I am regularly being kicked out of the firm's citrix platform. Also I find myself being kicked out of cloud video platforms. I have checked my router status and am getting 299000000 downstream and 32599953 upstream which seems right. When I check speed late at night I very infrequently get about speed of about 100 mbs. I can only assume that virginmedia do not have sufficient capacity in my area and that demand slows my speed during the time that I use my devices. Does anyone else have a fix? If not then given what I'm paying for my package and not getting I would be better off getting my package elsewhere for half the price with the same speed.

0 Kudos
MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Slow Broadband

How are you connecting your device, Wi-Fi or ethernet cable ?

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.
0 Kudos
Pault63
Joining in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Wi Fi. In the past I have plugged a laptop into the modem with ethernet cable without any marked difference

0 Kudos
MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

You need to test with a direct connection using a Cat 5E/6 cable between the Hub and a 1Gbs capable Pc/Mac/Chromebook and no other devices connected, Wi-Fi is not suitable for accurate speed testing.

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.
0 Kudos
Pault63
Joining in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the response. In the interim I have acquired a TP Powerlink and plugged my work laptop to it and I seem to be receiving a stable 100 mbs ethernet connection now.

However the broadband connection on the wifi devices remains unstable. It will be working at between 135-195 mbs downstream and 19-21 mbs upstream on my personal laptop for long periods of time then it drops to 35-45 mbs downstream and 2-3 mbs upstream. Unless I am monitoring the speed I don't notice this drop off straightaway until I do something that needs the speed. Yesterday I noted a series of errors warnings etc.. on my hub 3 network log. I resolved the issue by turning off my laptop's wifi and then when it turned on again the speed was back up. Presumably it had found the best band/channel. However, isn't the hub 3's intelligent wifi supposed to be doing this automatically so that the speed doesn't drop in the first place? I've had the hub3 router for quite a long time now. Is it likely that its become defective?

Thanks again.

0 Kudos
Emma_C
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi Pault63, 

Sorry you've been having some issues. with the service, this isn't what we like to hear. 

I'd also like to apologise for the delay in getting back to you we have been busier than expected. 

I've had a look at back end of things from here and I can see there is an outage at the moment, this is due to be fixed today by 15:00. 

If you're still having issues after this time please let us know and we can start diagnostics. 

Thanks. 

Emma_C - Forum Team
0 Kudos
Pault63
Joining in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I am not experiencing outage at the moment. My problem is marked drop in internet speeds.  Yesterday I had at one time I checked 16 mbs download and 1.26 upload. Today when I checked I had 27 mbs download. I turned my wifi off and then back on an the speed was 92 mbs. I thought that the intelligent router (Hub 3) was supposed to automatically select quieter channels so that speed is being maintained. It doesn't seem to be if I am having to turn the wifi off and on so that it selects a quieter channel when the wifi comes back on. I am consistently getting considerably less speeds than the package I am paying for.

Regards

0 Kudos
MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Welcome to the Trials & Tribulations of Wi-Fi

The problem with Wi-Fi is that it can be brilliant at breakfast time and useless by lunchtime and you haven't changed anything, BUT, something, somewhere has changed, then you can spend hours and even days trying to find a fix for something that can be totally out of your control.

If you remove all the internal walls, electronic and electrical devices, metallic pipes and conduits and wrap the whole building in a thick lead shield you will have a good chance of getting decent Wi-Fi from a VM Hub.

Many people have accepted that the VM Wi-Fi is poor and have purchased third party equipment that is much, much more powerful than the VM supplied kit and once set up have wondered why they waited for so long.

0 Kudos