forumarchive,nothingtosee,
Menu
mistertml
Joining in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Slow Broadband when TiVo Box is in use to Watch My Shows

I have had this issue on and off for the past 12 months now where I have noticed that my broadband grinds to a halt when we use the TiVo box to watch a recorded show.

Wired speed tests drop from 98Mbps to 0.2Mbps but as soon as the TiVo box is switched off or I pull the Ethernet cable from the TiVo out of the router the broadband speed boosts up to max speed.

Whenever I call the faults department I get asked to do the usual hard reset (with a PIN) and then miraculously the broadband will just come up fast enough for them to fob me off with the wait 24 hours and call back back again line.

Is anyone else experiencing the same issue as me? Or is this normal?

Thanks in Advance 

0 Kudos
MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Slow Broadband when TiVo Box is in use to Watch My Shows

Which model Hub do you have ?

………………………………………………………………………..

Set up a Broadband Quality Monitor (BQM) at thinkbroadband.com - this will give you an insight into what is happening with the signal at the Hub, it will take a few hours to get any kind of trend showing.

Post a link to your BQM on here.

Then

Type 192.168.0.1 (192.168.100.1 in Modem mode) into your browser URL bar and press enter.  When the page appears DO NOT LOG IN but click ‘Check Router Status’. Copy and paste the contents of each tab onto here, a Guru will be along soon to decipher the info.

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.
0 Kudos
mistertml
Joining in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi

I have the Hub V3.

Thanks

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

This is a bit pedantic I know, but you say... " I pull the Ethernet cable from the TiVo out of the router" - do you mean the "Hub" - or have you actually got your own router with the Hub in modem mode?
If so there could be an issue in the router and not the Hub.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
mistertml
Joining in
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

0 Kudos
mistertml
Joining in
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi

I know the difference between the virgin hub (provides Internet) and the TiVo box (provides tv signal). I have a CCNA so know the difference between a network problem and a local issue ie my own kit.

The issue is the network as in Virgin Media. The speed tests carried out are with a Cat6 plugged directly into the Virgin Media Hub. The hub is also not used in Modem mode.

If I switch off the TiVo Box off and the speed boosts up to somewhere around 80Mbps. But as soon as the TiVo box (tv) is switched back on the speed drops to well below the minimum guaranteed of 54mbps. And this is with only 2 devices connected: my laptop via Ethernet and the TiVo Box via Ethernet

I hope this clarifies the issue for you.

Regards.

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

@mistertml wrote:

Hi

I know the difference between the virgin hub (provides Internet) and the TiVo box (provides tv signal). I have a CCNA so know the difference between a network problem and a local issue ie my own kit.

I hope this clarifies the issue for you.

Regards.

Yes perfectly.  good luck

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Are you going to paste your Hub data on here for it to be checked out ?

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.
0 Kudos
mistertml
Joining in
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Spoiler

The issue has returned again.

whenever the TiVo is switched on and anything recorded is played the speed drops to under 10mbps.

I have done the usual reboot/reset(with a pin)

wired connection on two laptops and also replaced all Ethernet cables.

any ideas?

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/9863bbcc01b0cd31d28a614f5f2197627b4fd19d-20-11-2020

0 Kudos