Menu
odpdave
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Slow Broadband on one device since upgrading

Since upgrading to 200meg broadband from 100meg recently my laptop, and only my laptop, wifi download speed is less than it was before. On 100meg I regularly got 80 -100 meg download and 10 meg upload. Now I only get 20 - 30 meg download although the upload has increased (as expected) to 20 meg. All my other devices are achieving near to or exceeding the 200meg downloads as anticipated. Nothing has changed accept the upgrade to 200meg. Everything connected is in the same place as before (though moving the laptop around makes no difference, even right next to the router). The network adaptor has it's latest driver. I've reset the network multiple times. Changed DNS servers multiple times. Changed wifi channels multiple times. So frustrating that it's only the laptop. Have tried everything suggested on VM help pages too. Any ideas to rectify this would be greatly appreciated.

Broadcom BCM43142 802.11 bgn Wi-Fi M.2 Adapter

Driver: 7.35.352.0 (22/11/2016)

Thanks,

Dave

0 Kudos
jb66
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Slow Broadband on one device since upgrading

I appreciate you say you've seen better speeds before but your adaptor is fairly obsolete and can't even do 5ghz so I wouldn't expect good speeds from it at all. 

gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

It’s a pretty poor wireless N only device. 

You were lucky to be getting 80-100 out of it. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
mjkerr
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

@odpdave wrote:

I regularly got 80 -100 meg download and 10 meg upload. Now I only get 20 - 30 meg download although the upload has increased (as expected) to 20 meg.

Broadcom BCM43142 802.11 bgn Wi-Fi M.2 Adapter

Driver: 7.35.352.0 (22/11/2016)

What is the date before and now?

I have experienced a similar issue, since the end of March 2020, but it got worse and was very difficult to trace the cause 
I too have come to the conclusion the issue is the Broadcom Wifi card, as I have two identical laptops and they both have the same issue 
I suspect a Windows update caused this, but cannot find one that matches up date wise from the updates installed

However, I also had a Netflix UHD account and at the end of March 2020 this would not connect the Hub 3
It looks like two issues have been encountered, Virgin lowering the available bandwidth and the Broadcom incompatability

kkorkky
Dialled in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Microsoft does have some slightly later drivers available.  Not saying it may assist but its slighly newer  than the one you have installed.

https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=Broadcom+BCM43142

Regards

KK

mjkerr
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

@kkorkky wrote:

Microsoft does have some slightly later drivers available.  Not saying it may assist but its slighly newer  than the one you have installed.

The advantage I have is two identical Toshiba laptops
However, with respect to their configuration over time they do become slightly more different 

Broadcom 802.11n
02/06/2013
6.30.223.256 (default installation with Windows 10) 

Broadcom 802.11n
22/11/2016
7.35.352.0 (latest update)

I have now rolled back to v6.30, and no difference
I also have two further laptops
Noticed one was connected at 165Mbps, so it must have a Dual Band WiFi card
I am therefore wondering if the M.2 card fitted can be replaced by a newer version that includes Dual Band

0 Kudos
Adduxi
Trouble shooter
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Yes, some laptops can have the Wifi card replaced if it's not soldered to the motherboard.  You should check the manual or open the laptop and have a look.

Otherwise a Wifi dongle might be the easier option.

0 Kudos
mjkerr
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

@Adduxi wrote:

Yes, some laptops can have the Wifi card replaced if it's not soldered to the motherboard.  You should check the manual or open the laptop and have a look

Sadly nothing in the Toshiba manual for replacing the WiFi card, only the specification (802.11n)
I have located the WiFi card, and obtained a Dual Band equivalent (Intel 802.11ac) 
However on fitting the laptop would not start up
Swapped back to the original without any problem
Further research confirms the BIOS is locked to the Broadcom

Next step is a replacement laptop
Typical, get 5 years and it is upgrade time...

0 Kudos