Menu
Viper5112
Tuning in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Slow Broadband for weeks!!

Dublin, Ireland. I have been having issues with speed for weeks now, changed cables, switched from Modem to Router and back again etc...
I have a Hub 3.0 in modem mode with a TP-Link AX6000 gaming router (full firmware), haven't been able to get near my 500Mbps since August 10th... Download speeds have been re
ally bad, down to 40 and even 8Mbps...but the upload speeds have been consistent at 49-50Mbps which is where they are supposed to be... Not sure what to do, it must be capacity on their network, only logical explanation. Can't see why I would bother going for the new 1Gbps, it will probably only end up at 100...Ax6000SpeedTesthistory.PNGHub3.0NetworkLog.PNGHub3.0Upstream.PNGHub3.0GeneralConfig.PNGHub3.0Downstream.PNGHub3.0Status.PNG

0 Kudos
MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Slow Broadband for weeks!!

You will need to contact VM Eire to get anything done about the problems you are having although we will help where ever possible.

What speed do you get using a direct connection using a Cat 5E/6 cable between the Hub and a 1Gbs capable Pc/Mac/Chromebook and no other devices connected ?

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.
0 Kudos
Viper5112
Tuning in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I get 20-40Mpbs when switched back to router mode and connected directly to it......

0 Kudos
Buffer6
Hero
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Check your link connection from your device to Hub, if it has dropped from 1000/1000Mbps to 100/100Mbps

Check-in Devices connected when logged into your Hub.

It could mean a faulty Hub, faulty J45 cable, noise on downstream, or noisy NIC card.

0 Kudos
DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hello @Viper5112 

If you are in Eire then I am afraid all we can do here is give advice for full support you are going to need to contact Virginmedia IE, this community forum is for UK customers only the VM team do not have access to the IE tools / diagnostics etc. Here is a direct link https://www.virginmedia.ie/contact/

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Viper5112
Tuning in
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

So just to update....

I had already changed out network cables, reboots etc, no difference...however, I tried something different today....
I moved the router right beside the distribution point, tested the speed, boom!!! 490Mpbs....
Long story short, the TV cable I had from the VM box to the router location on the other side of the room was also fine, but what was wrong was it was snaking behind the skirting board, around power sockets and also an power extension block. So what I did was removed it from wrapping around the power connections and the speed came back to normal. I really didn't think the signal could be effected by parallel running power leads/sockets but it must be, because it's been stable ever since...Thanks to all who assisted, I hope this helps others...VM should really mention about keeping the router source cable away from power supplies....

0 Kudos
Corey_C
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi Viper5112,

Thanks for your post and for reaching out to the community forums. Glad to hear that you've been able to get things sorted.

Cheers,

Corey C

0 Kudos