Menu
craig115
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Slow 350mb speed TS23 area with apparent "no problems"

Hi,

For most of this year I have been complaining about slow connection speeds in my area. I have called your call centres and one or 2 people were helpful, others kept on referring to my LAN connection as "wi-fi",I hung up on him as he said it was my wifi that was the issue... when using a network cable.....uhuh he knows what he's talking about. So before we proceed I am using a wired connection using cat6 with a gigabit ethernet switch connected to your hub.

So apologies if this is seeming blunt but I am sick of being fobbed off, and talking to people who know less than my dog about networks. 

Anyway. I am getting at peak times about 85 mb on average. You have sent me a new box which was installed and then about an hour after that I got full 350mb.... then today I test my speed as I was sluggish on my connections and it was down to 85mb again. Im sorry but I am not going through all of the things again so I will list below the things that I have completed:

Old box:

• Reset the hub completey
  • Left the hub off for 60 seconds
  • plugged directly into the hub just in case it was one of my switches
  • Used Ookla speed test for all of my checks.

New box

• As above.

Things that I do know:

• It is not my hub.
  • My hub is connected directly into the wall and is not on an 4 way adapter or the like.
  • You are the main provider in the area as BT etc only offer 3mb connections at best.
  • All of my neighbours are with Virgin Media ( At least 7 that I know of).
  • The speeds are random as Off peak and occasionally during the day I can get close to 300mb+  which I can understand but a fluctuation of 225mb is just silly.

Assumption:

• So it seems to be a traffic issue. The local box cannot appear to handle the connections or is "managing the traffic" and doing a p - poor job of it. Neither of which is something that should affect me as I am on your maxiumum package.

Please do not blame this on Covid. I understand that traffic levels are higher, that is not an excuse as I have been having the same problem since earlier this year( I work from home so I notice drop offs). I understand these are trying times but what I dont understand is that you cannot see there is a problem even after 6 months of going back and forth and bandwith that is completely temperamental.

( I refuse to call you helpdesk any more as out of the 5-6 people I have spoken to, the only person that I could understand and didnt seem like he was a robot reading off of a script with very poor English was the Welshman I spoke to recently)

What are you going to do help please?

Thanks

Craig

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Slow 350mb speed TS23 area with apparent "no problems"

Have you tried taking the switch out - they can "fail"?

Do so - then put the Hub into mobile mode and test on an ethernet cable (Cat5e/6) connection to a Gb enabled computer/laptop, with up to date drivers. Test at speedtest.net to your nearest VM server - try 2 different browsers. If they are still low – boot the device into safe+networking mode and try again there are umpteem posts on here of "software" on devices that limits speed

Report back what that gets - if its still low we can look deeper

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
craig115
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I plugged 3 different laptops directly into the virgin hub and all 3 have similar fluctuations over a 10 minute period. I maybe should have been clearer at what I meant by hub.

I did try safe mode and got the same as I thought it could be my killer network software. I even tried a fresh build of windows 10  to try and eliminate a driver issue. Still the same.

Bizarrely I got 370mb for about 2 attempts last night so I checked again this morning and back to between 80 and 100mb.

Does seem traffic related.

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Possibly, n.b. there are lots of reports on here of "killer software" (whatever that is says this Mac user 🙂 ) slowing speeds e.g.
https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Speed/Slow-internet/td-p/4263530

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos